Respected Contributor

Re: Price cut for insulin for seniors

@Trinity11 wrote:

I would love to read something about what kind of insulin will be reduced to $35.00 a month co-pay. All Type 1 diabetics need two kinds of insulin which average thousands of dollars per month without insurance. My last co-pay for a 3 month supply of both basal and short acting insulin was over $1000.00 with an excellent retiree medical benefit plan. If this was reduced to $70.00 a month, I would be most grateful.

I'm Type 1 on one kind of Novolog only and on a pump. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I would love to read something about what kind of insulin will be reduced to $35.00 a month co-pay. All Type 1 diabetics need two kinds of insulin which average thousands of dollars per month without insurance. My last co-pay for a 3 month supply of both basal and short acting insulin was over $1000.00 with an excellent retiree medical benefit plan. If this was reduced to $70.00 a month, I would be most grateful.

I was on the pump but ended up with keto acidosis when it failed in the middle of the night.. I was talking about those of us who inject our insulin that are Type 1 need 2 types of

insulin. Many Type 2 diabetics take only basal insulin.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I was on the pump but ended up with keto acidosis when it failed in the middle of the night.. I was talking about those of us who inject our insulin that are Type 1 need 2 types of

Oh I've had many failures of my pump but would never give it up unless I can't afford it. I'd rather give up my dexcom any day than my pump.
I knew what you meant I just like to make sure everyone knows facts. So many times I've heard or seen people who are so clueless about diabetes. Especially in movies and shows. Don't get me started on that. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Oh I've had many failures of my pump but would never give it up unless I can't afford it. I'd rather give up my dexcom any day than my pump.
I knew what you meant I just like to make sure everyone knows facts. So many times I've heard or seen people who are so clueless about diabetes. Especially in movies and shows. Don't get me started on that. 

Most people haven't much of a clue how regimented the life of a diabetic is. And some of the rudeness I have read about Type 2's when they think just weight causes it. 

I am very old school about diabetes and my endocrinologist kids me about my not using the latest technology. I feel more in control with injections very much like Dr. Bernstein, the 85 year old doctor who has written books about his patients. He has a great YouTube channel and even after nearly 50 years of this, I learn something new from him.

Nice to talk with you @Lali1 .

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I think this is good news, the public is long overdue for help with prescription drug prices ALL around. I personally have been a diabetic for 13 years, but do not use insulin. I take 4 other drugs, 2 of which have no generic equivalents and are exorbitantly expensive. Medicare only recognizes generic drugs and charges $$$ for those that are not. Unfortunately, generics only do not control my disease. To date commercial policy holders are the only ones that can take advantage of the drug company rebates and savings cards. Those with the least amount of money are expected to pay the most. I know I am not the only one, and it is high time our elected officials got moving instead of talking!

Honored Contributor

I am happy to see this for all the people it will help.  I just worry that, as with most things, those lost profits from one group will just be moved to another group.  I am not yet on Medicare and am already paying $950/month for the only insurance available in my state and I'm a healthy person, so I never even reach my $6500 deductible which means I pay for everything out of pocket except the savings I guess I get for my generic prescriptions and my yearly gyno & mammo.