Respected Contributor

Re: Price cut for insulin for seniors

@Drythe wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Trinity11  My point about you mentioning prices is that you've obviously heard or seen or read about it.  So maybe you already know what kind of insulin will be reduced to $35/month. 

I don't think anyone will be forced to participate. If they don't like the $35 insulin and want to pay more, I think they can. 

I have been insulin dependent for nearly 50 years but I have absolutely no idea what insulin will be covered. There are many, so I guess we need to wait and see and hope that our drug insurers are willing to go along with it.

@Trinity11 

Easy to understand that you want to hear it from your own carrier, as the university of Google changes continuously.

The President said yesterday, ALL insulin  will be reduced to $35.00.

Honored Contributor

I think it will be great if something can be done to get the prices to come down for insulin   medications.  DH and I pay a lot for his!  It's terrible what they charge!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

It will be interesting to see the new pricing for part D.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Talk about staggering Rx prices -- someone should do something about the prices of Parkinson's meds.  Sometimes we have to pay over $2K for a 3 months supply.  Awful!!!

Respected Contributor

Thanks to @esmerelda for posting the thread and @Isobel Archer for posting the details.

I don't take insulin now but might have to next year. I'll definitely be reviewing Medicare choices carefully in October.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Trinity11  My point about you mentioning prices is that you've obviously heard or seen or read about it.  So maybe you already know what kind of insulin will be reduced to $35/month. 

I don't think anyone will be forced to participate. If they don't like the $35 insulin and want to pay more, I think they can. 

I have been insulin dependent for nearly 50 years but I have absolutely no idea what insulin will be covered. There are many, so I guess we need to wait and see and hope that our drug insurers are willing to go along with it.

@Trinity11 

Easy to understand that you want to hear it from your own carrier, as the university of Google changes continuously.

The President said yesterday, ALL insulin  will be reduced to $35.00.

That's interesting because when I was looking for a supplemental drug plan last year, I could not find one that would cover levemir pen insulin. The only one that would was my husband's retiree plan. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a great first step. I hope they reduce the cost of this co-pay for everyone.

I  am paying  a higher co-pay for my prescriptions, and will see an increase in part D costs for next year. 

Honored Contributor

Our co-pays are remaining the same so far.  Our co-pays are small, thankfully.  Except for my Lumigan.

We do have our co-pays waved now when we see our PCP for any reason, not just COVID-19 related.  This will continue through the end of 2020.

Thankfully DS has the VA and pays nothing.

I wish all the best for everyone needing higher-priced scripts; I don't blame the woman having chemo-she's scared, that's all. 

It isn't selfish to be worried about your own illness; after all, how many honestly think about cancer if you have diabetes or think about lupus if you have cancer etc.

It's quite normal to worry about your own illness or that of a loved one; especially if the illness can become terminal.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Our co-pays are remaining the same so far.  Our co-pays are small, thankfully.  Except for my Lumigan.

We do have our co-pays waved now when we see our PCP for any reason, not just COVID-19 related.  This will continue through the end of 2020.

I wish all the best for everyone needing higher-priced scripts; I don't blame the woman having chemo-she's scared, that's all. 

It isn't selfish to be worried about your own illness; after all, how many honestly think about cancer if you have diabetes or think about lupus if you have cancer etc.

It's quite normal to worry about your own illness or that of a loved one; especially if the illness can become terminal.

I agree - and I think I said that.  What made me sad was her rant that chemo should have been first because cancer is worse than diabetes - and she even went on that some people cause their own diabetes by poor eating habits.  So now we're fighting about whose disease is more worthy to deal with first.  As someone else noted, this is a start and I'm glad about that focus (and I don't take any meds).

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I agree - and I think I said that.  What made me sad was her rant that chemo should have been first because cancer is worse than diabetes - and she even went on that some people cause their own diabetes by poor eating habits.  So now we're fighting about whose disease is more worthy to deal with first.  As someone else noted, this is a start and I'm glad about that focus (and I don't take any meds).

@Isobel Archer   Ahh, I see this more clearly now.  I still do think the woman is terribly frightened and that is fueling what she says.

Afterall we have been pounded on these forums that unless one is vegan you are to blame for your own illness.  It hurt many people.

I do agree we cannot start picking and choosing who is more worthy of a price reduction or even general care based on what condition the person has.

But I also understand fear.

What concerns me is not the type of illness but who has it-meaning seniors, especially.

Something has to change; maybe this will diabetes issue will be the start for others.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh