Honored Contributor

Has anyone seen any price gouging this season?  There was a pair of shoes I wanted on amazon and darn!  the seller raised them $75.00!!!

I have seen price increases on things for two dollars or so, but never anything like this!!!

Trusted Contributor

That is not really price gouging.  It us more like supply and demand.

Price gouging would be raising prices like that on a necessity.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG, sorry for your experience.  Last week I had the exact opposite thing on Amazon.  I bought a pair of leather Keds for $22.48.  I looked at them a couple of days ago and in my size they were up to $49.56.  If I were you, I'd put the shoes you want in your shopping cart and keep checking on the price.  Amazon is very good about notifying of a price change up or down.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

That is not really price gouging.  It us more like supply and demand.

Price gouging would be raising prices like that on a necessity.

@KYToby

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.
Price gouging - Wikipedia

@KYTobyI feel this price was hiked because of the holiday shopping season.

Honored Contributor

I've learned to put items on my wish list on Amazon and to check prices several time a week. Last I bought my three daughters and daughter in law china tea sets. the brand and patterns that I had picked out had a high price of $200 and I waited patiently and got two of them for $80.

Keep watching @ECBG

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I've learned to put items on my wish list on Amazon and to check prices several time a week. Last I bought my three daughters and daughter in law china tea sets. the brand and patterns that I had picked out had a high price of $200 and I waited patiently and got two of them for $80.

Keep watching @ECBG

@JaneMarpleIt was as good as I felt it would get, I was ready to buy and saw the overnight increase!

Respected Contributor

In my state during the hurricane and when the pipeline in Alabama broke and we didn't have gas for 3 days.  The ones who were lucky to get gas, paid a high price for it.  These companies were later fined. 

Honored Contributor

I don't call that price gouging, they just increased the price by a lot.  I think of price gouging as increasing prices by ridiculous amount of money for product or service that is vital health or life.  Like the Epipen situation. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Has anyone seen any price gouging this season?  There was a pair of shoes I wanted on amazon and darn!  the seller raised them $75.00!!!

I have seen price increases on things for two dollars or so, but never anything like this!!!

Is Amazon the only place the shoes are available?

Honored Contributor

Is there something extra special about the shoes, @ECBG, like they were featured in a magazine or on a tv show?  That's quite a hike!