Honored Contributor

Re: President Kennedy Assassinated 57 Yrs. Ago Today

@KailaS I'm so sorry😞

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I was a little kid.I will never forget that day. It was the day I learned that my world wasn't perfect.That bad things can happen to good people.

I remember watching the coverage on our Black & White 19 inch tv with my parents. I remember little John saluting.I remember watching everyone around me cry for days.It's sad just thinking about it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in elementary school at the time but everything, so many details, are burned into my brain forever.

I grew up in an Irish Catholic family and my father was on a PT boat in the Pacific Theater with President Kennedy so his assassination dealt quite a blow.

One of the saddest things through all the coverage that I watched on TV was when the Kennedy household items were being removed from the White House and JFK's infamous rocker was sitting by itself on the lawn.  That had such a sad, sad impact on me.

The world truly did change for so many that fateful day.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Much like the events on 7/11, that day's event is also burnt into my memory!! 

I was in college and getting ready to take a Chemistry

semifinal!!  Of course, classes were cancelled and it being so close to the Thanksgiving holiday, all classes were cancelled for that week!! 

Students were huddled around the TV channels; everyone in kind of a daze!   I also have such vivid memories of the funeral procession and the little boy saluting as the hearse went by!!  Makes me tear up just thinking abut it....

Esteemed Contributor

I remember that day and what followed so vividly.  Sitting in my 5th grade class and another teacher came in and whispered to my teacher.  Both teachers started crying.  An announcement came over the PA system and we were sent home.

Like everyone else we were glued to the TV all weekend and I couldn't believe when I saw Jack Ruby kill Oswald.  The funeral procession with all those world leaders and little John-John was something we had never seen before.

I saw JFK in person when he was campaigning in NYC in 1960.  He was making a speech at a local Democratic club close to my home and my father wanted to see him.  So glad he took me along.  There was a small crowd, but we were standing in front and I remember JFK looking down at me and smiling,  My father died in January '63 and while watching that weekend my mother commented on how sad my father would have been with what happened.

@Pearlee - good thread!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. Thank you. And wow that you have such a personal memory of JFK!  

Honored Contributor

I just listened to Dion's "Abraham, Martin and John" song on YouTube. I always play that song on this date. It brings me to tears...esp when Bobby is mentioned at the end joining them.  A very sad song about our history.

Valued Contributor

I was in sixth grade PS79 NYC. We had an old substitute teacher. A boy came back from the bathroom sobbing. Something about the president The sub asked, "The president of Texas? There is no president of Texas." Another teacher brought a radio into our class. We then heard the tragic news. We heard Walter Cronkite announce that the president was dead. Everyone was crying and we were sent home.

When I taught 4/5 th grade gifted, I would always talk about this historical day and share my diary with the class. Retired 6/19. Would hope that this is discussed in class but have my doubts.

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee  Love that song. Had my class sing that for a Black History performance  4 years ago.Had one student whose father did not let him participate!

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee There is a cool video of Dion singing it on The Smothers Brothers show.  Dion -- who would have thought the guy who sang Runaround Sue, The Wanderer and Teenager in Love would come up with something so great and powerful?

I loved your story above. Thanks for teaching about this day to your students.