Honored Contributor

Re: President Kennedy Assassinated 57 Yrs. Ago Today

And there was the amazing Zapruder film. I could never have kept the camera filming once I realized what was happening. That film footage  is so horrifying. 😱

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee My mother worked at  Zenith in Chicago and said the whole plant shut down.  She said they literally cried as the news was announced, it was truly a sad pivotal time for our country.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

When Kennedy was shot our 5th grade nun teacher was called out of the room. When she returned her face was gray, never had seen anyone's skin tone look like that. We knew it was bad and I remember she could barely get out the words. 

@rockygems123. That was my experience too. After our lunch break at school our teacher came in and put his head down on his desk, which was very odd. When he finally looked up, his face was ashen and he said "President Kennedy has been assassinated." A few minutes later the principal came on the PA system, told us the same thing, and said we were all being sent home from school. This was 6th grade.

@Pearlee Such vivid memories. 

Trusted Contributor

I also will always remember that sad day.Husband an I heading to the bank.He was going deer hunting,so needed to both cash our checks.Go inside,the place was going crazy,the heard the terrible news.Long ago,yes,I was young knewly married.

Honored Contributor

I was 7 at the time of  Presidents assassination which was shortly after I lost my paternal grand dad, I remember my Mom saying if grandpa was still alive this might of killed him

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wasn't alive, but my Mother always told me how she remembered the details of that day. I grew up learning so much about it, and about President Kennedy.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always remember elementary school when older teacher (younger than I am now) walked in the room and wept. I thought her husband died. She could barely speak, much like your stories. Riding the bus home I remember thinking, in my kid mind, that the world tilted / shifted / changed a little that day. I began paying more attention to what Walter Cronkite said at 6 PM. That was just the beginning of senseless assassinations and injustices. 

How is it possible the mystery of his death hasn't been solved?

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

IRe: President Kennedy Assassinated 57 Yrs. Ago Today

That day is seared in my memory. In addition to the grief I felt, my view of the world matured. My naive childhood belief that things like that couldn't happen in the US because we were somehow superior to other nations was certainly altered forever.

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched a youtube video- the song is Seconds by the The Human League.  It's about the assasination.  It is a beautiful song.  The youtuber set with song with video of JFK's processional.  I started to cry.

Trusted Contributor

I had an early lunch in high school. As I was rushing to my fourth period, someone said, "The president was shot." About 20 minutes later, there was an announcement on the PA system. What a sad day for the country.

Then, on this same date in 1971, my family's home burned down, in an inferno that started next door to us in the middle of the night and took our place too. My parents, sister, dog, cat, and I escaped, but we lost absolutely everything.  So, I hate this date.