Highlighted
Honored Contributor

President Kennedy Assassinated 57 Yrs. Ago Today

For some here this is an event they only read about in history books, but to many of us it is a day followed by a weekend we will never forget.

An incredible weekend when we were glued to the TV set  and saw the accused assassin shot dead before our very eyes. The funeral, and little John-John saluting his father in a final goodbye.

What a sad and extraordinary weekend that was. 

Honored Contributor

Re: President Kennedy Assassinated 57 Yrs. Ago Today

I remember it so well,  just a kid at the time.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

There is a really good series on Hulu starring James Franco, 11.22.63 based on the Stephen King book. It has time travel in it, tries to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy ( there was a thread on this series in the TV and Movies forum).

Esteemed Contributor

I remember that day very well; I was a sophomore at University of MD.  I had seen JFK in person three times (even shook his hand at a campaign event, held at my H.S.).  Several of my sorority sisters and I stood outside the Capitol for hours in middle of night, so we could file past his coffin ( still a very strong memory).

Honored Contributor

I remember that day too...I was in the third grade and was walking home from school.  Some other kids along the way had mentioned that they heard that the president was shot and I didn't believe them until I got home.

Respected Contributor

When Kennedy was shot our 5th grade nun teacher was called out of the room. When she returned her face was gray, never had seen anyone's skin tone look like that. We knew it was bad and I remember she could barely get out the words. 

Respected Contributor

I remember it very well.  I was 10 years old.  We watched TV coverage the entire time--in black & white.

Frequent Contributor

I remember it well. I was in 4th grade. Our teacher told us. Everyone was so sad. TV was blacked out. Then to see Rubi shoot Oswald live on TV. 

One of many moments in history etched in my memories, not from a book or the internet.

It was such a sad time

Super Contributor

@Pearlee @I remember it well.  So sad  I was a sophomore in high school.  My girlfriend and I were in the hallway on our way to class from lunch.  Her brother was in his car listening to radio.  It had breaking news that President Kennedy was shot and later died in Parkland hospital.  The principal was wondering what the commotion was going on in the hallway.  Her brother told him the news. He immediately got on the intercom and told everyone what had happened.  Our home ec. Teacher got out her transistor radio and we all listened in .  We were just stunned.  

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

When Kennedy was shot our 5th grade nun teacher was called out of the room. When she returned her face was gray, never had seen anyone's skin tone look like that. We knew it was bad and I remember she could barely get out the words. 

@rockygems123. That was my experience too. After our lunch break at school our teacher came in and put his head down on his desk, which was very odd. When he finally looked up, his face was ashen and he said "President Kennedy has been assassinated." A few minutes later the principal came on the PA system, told us the same thing, and said we were all being sent home from school. This was 6th grade.