Valued Contributor

Prescriptions from CVS vs Sam's Club

Changed from CVS to Sam's Club for my prescriptions.  One of my prescriptions:  3 boxes for $525 at CVS.  At Sam's Club, SAME brand was 4 boxes for $141.   Same RX insurance.  Unbelievable difference in price!!   My other prescriptions are also a great deal cheaper at Sam's.

Honored Contributor

Re: Prescriptions from CVS vs Sam's Club

I was also amazed when I switched to Costco!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just last month I switched my son's allergy medication prescription from Walgreens to Sam's club. Walgreens was $125 and Sam's club was only $10, no insurance even needed for that price since I was a plus member. I did do my price research on good rx before switching. Had never did research before and was totally astounded by the price difference. The system is definitely broken in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

You do not have to use your perscription insurance for any RX.

Sometimes is cheaper with no insurance so check the cost without using your perscription insurance, it's OK you don't have to use it.

Walmart, Sam's and Costco have the best rates for perscriptions....even some of the mail order companies cannot compete with them.

Valued Contributor

It's tricky to research prices when you have Rx insurance.  The price quoted for an individual to purchase is different from what they give the insurance company ( a lot cheaper).  It depends on what arrangement they have with the insurance company.  Most pharmacies say they "don't know" until they "run it through" with the insurance company as a purchase.  It's almost like being in the hospital.  When you ask how much a certain test they want to do costs, nobody "knows".

Trusted Contributor

I am a teacher and have insur\ance coverage so I must use CVS.  I took my son's prescription from the $141 price at CVS to Costco-he isn't even a member and it is $9. You do not have to be a member to get things filled there. You do get a few dollar break on most meds if you are a member.

Respected Contributor

One huge benefit of not running an RX through insurance that hasn't been mentioned is it doesn't count towards the donut hole if you're on Medicare and have their standard Rx policy. The donut  hole is what's determining my medication choices, or even whether I can treat certain conditions at all.

IMO, it's really wrong that Medicare recipients and people who have government-related (local, state, federal) health insurance are usually ineligible for the patient assistance programs run by pharmaceutical companies that help with co-pays and sometimes even give the drugs out for nothing.

Respected Contributor

CVS is the WORST place to get your prescriptions - sure it is the most expensive.  I get mine at my local grocer (Marsh) - get my blood pressure meds for free there.  I have heard Sam's Club is one of the best places to get prescriptions, but for me it is on the other side of town - not convenient at this point.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anniecamp ... our insurance company basically forced us to switch from our regular local pharmacy to Sam's club.  While it is a bit more inconvenient to reach we have gotten huge savings.  For example, my BP meds cost me $75.00 for a 30 day supply at our regular pharmacy.   But now it is costing me $70.00 for a 90 day supply at Sam's Club.  There are meds I also get for free ... when they cost me about $35.00 for a 30 day supply before.  

Honored Contributor

Because we snowbird we use Walgreens as that is the only chain in both places we live. I'm sure when we finally settle here in Florida all year we will find it much less expensive to use our doctor's group's pharmacy as they supposedly greatly discount. For now it doesn't matter , we are stuck with Walgreens. Publix gives you metformin for free when you use their pharmacy  but Walgreens charges me $6 for mine.