Honored Contributor

I faithfully go to my General Practitioner Doctor every 6 months.

I am on generic prescriptions for cholesterol, high blood pressure, thyroid and regulate my blood sugar. I do not get any narcotics or pain medicine. Just run of the mill prescriptions.

I went to my Doctor in March. I thought he renewed my prescriptions until my next visit in August. I am finding out that he only renewed my prescriptions for 1 renewal of 90 days.

So the pharmacy called the Doctor's office for another renewal of my drugs. The Doctor's office gave the pharmacy a renewal for one 90 day renewal.

Is there something new with Medicare that only one 90 day renewal at a time? I am certainly going to discuss it with my Doctor in August but it just struck me odd that suddenly my drugs can only be renewed 90 pills at a time. And the Doctor's office has to issue a new prescription every 90 days. Seems like more work for everyone.

Respected Contributor

Re: Prescription renewals

[ Edited ]

I think the answer is yes, I know this is what my own insurance company requires. I have the reverse problem, I don't want even 90 days if I'm trying to figure out whether the medication is correct, the right dosage, etc. But inadvertently when I have gotten a new medication, like today, I got a 90 day supply.  

Frequent Contributor

I am on Medicare with a supplemental as well. I go to my doctor twice a year and so far have gotten 90 daywith a 90 day refill. Maybe this is something new you doctor is doing? I would not be happy either. I only get synthroid and Prilosec. 

Frequent Contributor

Whenever get a new script that I don't anything about or if it will work, I tell my doc to please only give me 30 days with 5 refills. That way I don't waste my money if it doesn't work. They have always complied .

Super Contributor

@drizzellla But isn't the initial Rx of 90 days + 1 refill of 90 days = 6 months?

Esteemed Contributor

@shoechic wrote:

@drizzellla But isn't the initial Rx of 90 days + 1 refill of 90 days = 6 months?

@shoechic  that's what I was wondering. That's 6 months. Unless it's twice a day.

I usually get 90 days plus two refills.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer 90 day refills since none of my prescriptions are new. My doctors prescribe enough for almost a year...90x4=360.  I usually have a few pills that are left over.  I am on a Medicare advantage plan that includes prescriptions.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum   Some scripts are limited by law, some by the different insurances, and some by the doctors themselves.  At least that's been my experience.    My primary care doctor writes scripts so I have enough refills until he needs to see him again-  generally 90 days worth plus 3 refills.

Respected Contributor

Re: Prescription renewals

[ Edited ]

I take cholesterol medication and I need to have a blood test every three to four months so I can get my prescription medication renewed.  Maybe that is the reason your doctor is giving your 90 day prescriptions.  You probably need to take a blood test every three months to make sure the cholesterol medication is not causing you liver damage.

Honored Contributor

My husband gets 90 plus 3 refills for his metformin and glimepiride.