Esteemed Contributor

Re: Preparing for winter ice and snow

Yes, better safe than sorry. I got those over the shoe cleats on QVC years back, 'they're still good. I have 2 pair. I have very bad back problems up and down my entire spine and I have plates and screws in my neck. I hardly go out in snow and ice unless I have to for a Dr. appt or something.(PS which is why I no longer like Winter. I am stuck inside more).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My husbands cleats came ,and he put them on his boots. They fit OK. However, there is one problem, they don't match

It doesn't matter ,because they weren't expensive, and no one will see them. He won't be wearing them, out and about, just at home to blow snow

He did buy a name brand  Yak Trax or something like that. It's not worth the hassle to return them. As long as they keep him safe that is all that matters

They don't match?

How does that happen? Are they different brands? sizes? I hope they both work. 

Thanks for a heads up. Before I buy I will try and find a pair that matches,

Honored Contributor

They are the same size and brand just a different style.

We don't have any bare floors. Our house is carpeted wall to wall ,through out

I am not worried about him slipping on our floors. Thanks for your concern

Trusted Contributor

I believe you have a false sense of security with the cleats to stop from falling on ice.

Why not give him an early Christmas present with someone to come and

blow the snow...might make it easier on his back.  We have several people that will come for a nonimal fee.  Do you live where there is a lot of snow?

It would give you piece of mind.  Just a suggestion but I would not hesitate,

no matter how stubborn he is. 

Honored Contributor

I am not going to start a fight with my husband, over blowing snow. My husband is very fit ,and active ,and sick to death of doing nothing

He has already done some plumbing work, and was so happy to be able to  be active once again

His Dr is fine with it. If he gave him the all clear, that is good enough for me

Frequent Contributor

I'm glad your DH is better @cherry. Thank you for sharing this tip about cleats.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

@cherrySorry your hubby had such a bad injury but it's good to hear he's mending.  Yes, yes, YES to the cleats or snow trax or the like when out in the snow and ice.

Please REMEMBER, Cleats and metal treads Can BE SLIPPERY ON FLOORS.  Be careful when you walk indoors or on clear pavement.  Yes as well to the cell phone being mandatory gear.  ALso, when either of you goes out to shovel, SET a time Limit.  15 or 20 min.  Then Check on the one out doors to make sure they are still standing. Besides, The one outdoors should be taking a break  around that time anyway.  Hope the mending continues without a hitch and you enjoy the season!

Bingo!   It's scary that OP seems to think that there's some type of protection with cleats.  They help but I don't think all that much.  I think caution and common sense and acceptance by OP and her husband that he simply cannot do some things anymore is what they need.  Cleats can be extremely hazardous on smooth surfaces, I found that out from personal experience.  

Boy i agree, my feet just went out from me when getting out of my car in the garage.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Well, it snowed. So I decided to put cleats on my shoes before shoveling my driveway. I can't even start to put them on my boots. So picked the smallest pair of shoes I have. A size 6. I need about another 3 " to get it on my size 6 shoe.

My donation pile just grows and grows.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  my husband tried a pr on at a sporting goods store, and he could't get them on either, and they didn't have the larger size

So ,when we bought them online ,he went up a size, and they fit fine. He is leaving them on the boots he uses to blow snow with

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@drizzellla  my husband tried a pr on at a sporting goods store, and he could't get them on either, and they didn't have the larger size

So ,when we bought them online ,he went up a size, and they fit fine. He is leaving them on the boots he uses to blow snow with

That is exactly what I planned to do. I was just going to leave them on my shoes for the Winter. But I was shocked that no way no how are they ever going to fit. I dug out my old trusty boots that are I don't know how many years old. But they fit just fine and work well in the snow.