Esteemed Contributor

I don't live where hurricanes happen, but I have always believed in being prepared for any disaster, whether it be a hurricane, blizzard, earthquake, or whatever.

Thrre is a run on water and other stuff like food, batteries, ect.

I know that it's too late now, but I always think that it's a good idea to pick up a few emergency staples when there isn't a catastrophe.

Things like five gallon jug of water, few cans of food, etc.

It doesn't have to be all purchased at once, just a little here, a little there, and just sock it away, just in case.

One might even want to invest in a 30-day supply of pouched food, that will last for years.

Then, when everybody else is running to the store, you won't have to, because you will be all set, and can concentrate your energy on other things.

As the scouts say, "always be prepared".

Honored Contributor

I agree.  I'd rather be prepared, than be without.

Honored Contributor

I have friends out where I live who are always prepared for a disaster.

They are convinced something is going to happen and they want to be ready.

I'm not talking about weather wise.  I talking about everything.  

Honored Contributor

Another thing I was thinking about today is having your medications all in one place so if you need to get out fast you can dump them into a bag and go. I was thinking of all those poor elderly people without their medications in Houston. 

Respected Contributor

Back north we prepared for blizzards and bad winter storms. Here in southwest Florida it's hurricanes. Once the real path of the storm is known then we will take action beyond simple preparations.

Honored Contributor

September is National Preparedness Month. There is some very good info to read at:

ready dot gov / september

This breaks it down really well.

Respected Contributor

Being here right outside of Houston I've prepared but never evacuated. This time we were stuck at home for days and days. I almost ran out of paper towels because we used them a lot. Now at the store they're short on toilet paper, paper towels, sodas, water, eggs, chips, bread and milk. So if you use those things a lot stock up. I have to have paper towels it's a thing with me. And if you're desperate you can use them as a substitute for toilet paper. 

Honored Contributor

When we lived in Calif we had emergency supplies for earthquakes.  Now we live where we get occasional tornados and have supplies in the basement "safe room". Just remember to rotate them in to use after about a year unless they are marked for much longer storage.  

And yes, I fully believe in being prepared.... and don't forget a radio.  A good small one that cranks will not require batteries..... same with a flashlight.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Being here right outside of Houston I've prepared but never evacuated. This time we were stuck at home for days and days. I almost ran out of paper towels because we used them a lot. Now at the store they're short on toilet paper, paper towels, sodas, water, eggs, chips, bread and milk. So if you use those things a lot stock up. I have to have paper towels it's a thing with me. And if you're desperate you can use them as a substitute for toilet paper. 

@Lali1   just do not flush them!   

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

SeaMaiden wrote:

prettychis wrote:

@prettychis   just do not flush them!   

@SeaMaiden I buy the select a size rip them in half and flush them. I have small dogs who sometimes poop on potty pads and that's what I use.