Honored Contributor

Re: Pregnant Kate Middleton Is St. Patrick's Day Perfect (I copied MSN's headline exactly)

@sunshine45wrote:

@Patriot3wrote:

@gidgetghwrote:

This is not meant to the OP, who copied the headline exactly, but....

when I read things about Kate online or in magazines, all over the place, why do they keep referring to her as Kate Middleton?  She's been married for years.

I agree.  Her title is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.  Even if the media just called her Duchess Catherine, it would be better than Kate Middleton.  Even William calls her Catherine........and it is Catherine, with a C.

william her small son calls her catherine?

William is her husband - her son's name is George.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pregnant Kate Middleton Is St. Patrick's Day Perfect (I copied MSN's headline exactly)

I have seen her in this coat and hat before and she always looks classy.  It is a great color for her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

lol @151949 thanks.....i am getting them all mixed up! i have not had a coffee yet......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

I have seen her in this coat and hat before and she always looks classy.  It is a great color for her.

She wore that on her trip to Norway a month or so ago.

Honored Contributor

some reasons why she is referred to as "kate middleton."

The simplest explanation for the fact that we still refer to her as Kate Middleton is that, well, that is the name we all “grew up with.” When, as a public, we were first introduced to Kate, she was Prince William’s longtime girlfriend, not yet a member of the royal family (or a style icon) herself. Headlines shouted about their romance (“Prince William and Kate Middleton’s Glam Polo Match Afternoon,” etc.), and part of the appeal of their relationship, a key aspect of the narrative, was that William’s girlfriend did not come from an aristocratic or royal background. As such, that “Middleton” surname always acted—and still does act, in a way—like a reminder of the “fairy-tale” element of their romance: Kate dating, and then marrying, an actual prince could happen to you (you know, if you bumped into a man in a Duane Reade after work one day who asked you on a date, only for him to reveal at Shake Shack later that he was in fact a prince).

The “Middleton” stuck—another factor is that “Middleton” is, as far as last names go, catchy and memorable (and if we really want to run with this, the name itself suggests the rise from the “middle” that she made)—and, for the eight years of their pre-wedding relationship, that is what we strictly knew her by. While it is not impossible to shift what you’re known as to the general public (as “Diddy” can attest to), it is never exactly an easy feat to pull off, either.

Another key element that has led to the continued use of “Kate Middleton,” on the part of the U.S. media, is, yes, the Internet. As was suggested by the previous Google search results, American Internet users know her, primarily, as “Kate Middleton.” When most Americans are unwinding from a busy day at work—lounging in athletic shorts on their couches, not having made it to the gym—they are typing “Kate Middleton,” not “Duchess of Cambridge,” into their phones, to see what she is up to and what she’s been wearing. And, correspondingly, while you’ll see publishers attempt a “Duchess Kate” here and there, it is very rare to see her referred to exclusively as the “Duchess of Cambridge” in an article or post.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/09/duchess-of-cambridge-kate-middleton-name-title

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My DH & I have been watching a TV show about the British royals - called The House of Windsor. We went from back in WW1 days up to the time of Lady Diana Spencer so far.  I always wondered what their actual last name is. Well after WW1 it was set by parliment that they would be called the house of Windsor because they wanted rid of the German connotation that Prince Albert had brought as the Prince of Saxe - Coburg in Germany. Then when Phillip and Queen Elizabeth had children it seemed to be an issue with each son born as he wanted them to have his name - Montbatten.In the end Parliment decided it could be a hyphenated name & the Queen was glad to have it over with so their actual last name is Montbatten - Windsor. Apparently Prince Phillip agreed.

Honored Contributor

I love it, she looks so beautiful . I think the gold shamrock pin belongs to the Queen. When Duchess Kate started taking over the St Patrick's Day duties she started wearing it.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

She truly is perfection.  I find it sad that in our country, a half naked (or naked in some photos) of Kim Kardashian is held up as a fashion icon.  Not picking on Kim, because heaven knows, the more naked you can make a dress, the more photographed and praised they seem to be.   

Just wish our fashion "icons" had the same class. 

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23wrote:

Love the coat.  I had one very similar in the 70's - of course it was not as expensive as hers must have been. Same green, was wool and had fur on collar and cutts. 

Shoekitty said.  In 1965 I had one very similar.  It didnt have faux fur detail but it was green and same style.  Not quite as long, as things were getting short.  I loved that coat, and still think of it today.  Made me think how the weather has changed!!  I wore the coat to high school a lot, and when home!  I havent owned a full coat for 25 years, never gets that cold anymore during the day.  I really am not out at night anymore

Respected Contributor

She looked beautiful.

The dog was quite handsome.