Honored Contributor

What's the difference in us boomers and our kids not having those spaces in comparison to having the spaces for women now? Gosh our kids grew up wonderfully without special spaces- we dealt with it.. LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2014 biancardi said:
On 4/9/2014 Seattlegirl98026 said: My local Whole Foods has a couple of pregnancy spots. I thought it was a nice idea.

I do as well.

Personally, I don't mind it when other people who might need a bit more help get it. I thank my stars that I am healthy enough to park further away and walk it. But there might come a day when I need to use those spaces and I hope that others don't begrudge me.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I am fortunate that I can park far away and not have to fight for spots close to the store.

Honored Contributor
On 4/13/2014 bathina said:

Anyone who has worked in retail is familiar with the irrational rantings of customers offended by everything. I can't see a store taking away the convenience spots because some complain. I can see them removing them if they are not used.

Why do people think because they didn't have it in their day, why should we have it now? As they sit on their computers, using internet accessing an online shopping forum. Bet they've been vaccinated too.

Parking in a space designated for someone else is bad form and speaks loudly about character, IMO.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/13/2014 Burnsite said:

I have seen this only at my local mall, which is very popular and very short on parking spaces at the high season.

It is not only for pregnant women but for those also with small children, and I see the kids being placed into their strollers in that part of the parking lot, which happens to be in front of the store I always check first, Anthropologie.

They need the convenience for their little ones, and the mall needs the patronage of the younger moms, especially since the demographics in s Fl are so skewed toward older people who are more tightfisted. (And I am not excluding myself.) To walk from my parking space to the pregnant moms and moms with small kids spaces takes me less than a minute.

How petty is it to begrudge those spaces to s-a-h-ms who may not get out that often. They dress up the mall, and kids are always beautiful and young moms also, in my eyes anyway. Something joyous about young families and if malls want to attract them, that is OK with me.

Honestly the difference is about 30 paces. What is wrong with people today, that they would begrudge the kids and the moms?

So much for family values, eh ?

Honored Contributor

Not sure retail is the industry that would make the call on these sorts of spaces. I'd think it might be more of a property management decision. They probably market it to those leasing retail space a 'good for business'. Should they decide maybe it's not, or, as noted, if the spaces aren't being often used, chances are they'll go away.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
On 4/13/2014 stevieb said:

Not sure retail is the industry that would make the call on these sorts of spaces. I'd think it might be more of a property management decision. They probably market it to those leasing retail space a 'good for business'. Should they decide maybe it's not, or, as noted, if the spaces aren't being often used, chances are they'll go away.

Not sure we are talking about the same thing as I am not sure to whom you are replying. In our city it is up to the City to say how many Handicapped Parking Stalls have to be in a parking lot or garage. Last time I spoke with them about this was a month or so ago. My 88 year old mother-in-law broke her hip in December and I wanted to know who decided how many spaces were reserved for the Handicapped.

After going to the State and County, they referred me to our City Officials. I was told that businesses, including parking garages, have to have 10% of their stalls reserved for Handicap Parking Only.

If this ain't what you are talkin about? Sorry!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Jerry Seinfeld on Handicapped Parking

""Just what is the handicapped parking situation at the Special Olympics? Is it still just the two spaces?"" Smiley Very Happy.

Respected Contributor
On 4/13/2014 sidsmom said:

"Just what is the handicapped parking situation at the Special Olympics? Is it still just the two spaces?" Smiley Very Happy.

I always think the same thing when we're at the orthopedic surgeon's office. Every single person is using a walker, crutches, or cane, or at the very least limping along. Why bother having 2 spaces.
Super Contributor

Geez, I have never seen so many people SO put out by something that doesn't even affect 95% of them...

Honored Contributor
On 4/13/2014 VanSleepy said:
On 4/13/2014 sidsmom said:

"Just what is the handicapped parking situation at the Special Olympics? Is it still just the two spaces?" Smiley Very Happy.

I always think the same thing when we're at the orthopedic surgeon's office. Every single person is using a walker, crutches, or cane, or at the very least limping along. Why bother having 2 spaces.

I agree about why bother having 2 spaces. When I had my joint replacement in my foot, I wasn't offered any sort of handicap option- nothing. I used a "knee scooter" and let me tell ya, people at the store paid no attention to my handicap, if anything I was a big target. Even crossing in a crosswalk on a scooter, no one would stop. People are so inconsiderate even of a minor handicap like I had. I'm don't understand spaces for PG women- PG hasn't changed in years nor has a woman with little children.. Most of us have been there and done that.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee