Honored Contributor

Re: Prediction another 100,000 deaths by end of Summer from Covid- 19

Look at positive test rate and number of hospitalizations, not number of cases to gauge whether it’s worse out there. In my county, it’s up slightly on hospitalizations but the positive test rate is flat. Will need to see the trend over the next month. I do think there will be an increase later in the year, coinciding with flu season.

I’m exposed to COVID every shift at work. Starting next week I’m back on a non-COVID floor. I’ve made a hair appointment and I’m going out of state to see family in July.
Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
Will there be social distancing at the rallies getting ready to start in about a week? Not sure how that works?

@bikerbabe 

Ummmmmmmmmmmm,

NO

Protest across the country continue to get a pass.

Got it !!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Just heard on Fox, CA, FL, AZ, and TX are seeing what they are calling spikes in cases.

Texas had been going down, but had 2100 hospitalizations in one day yesterday.  

@Foxxee   There were not 2100 new hospitalizations in one day.

The hospitalizations increased over a period of 3 days from Mon. through Wed.

Mon-record high of 1935 (not admitted on the same day)

Tues-number increased to 2000 (not admitted on the same day)

Wed.-2153 are hospitalized (not admitted on the same day)

These stats are totals regarding how many people are in the hospital, not admissions happening every day.

Yes, there are spikes in cases in TX, however.

@Cakers3 

Texas reporting to CDC, 1885 deaths for June 11 at 1:06 pm, so I don't know.  If I'm reading that correctly, by 1:06 pm yesterday, Texas had 1853 deaths.  So, it's possible the 2100 count by the end of the day could be accurate.

It will be interesting to see how many at the end of today.

@Foxxee   Hi Foxee-I was responding to the stat you posted about 2100 people were hospitalized in one day.

Did you mean to posts new cases/deaths and not hospitalizations??

I think we crossed wires here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb, I can assure you I know the legal definition of “duty to warn.”  I am a college-educated former paralegal.  I would have thought that speaking of my personal experiences - as well as knowing experiences of a doctor treating virus patients - would have indicated that I felt a personal, certainly not legal, duty to warn.  Obviously, I have fulfilled what I believe is my obligation.

I could go into a detailed explanation of my personal code of ethics, but why bother?  Wasted words, falling on deaf ears, opening me up to whatever.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I am so fed up with the nonsense accusations that people do not care because it has not happened to them.

We do the best we can-masks, sanitizing, distancing, saw DS and family for the first time in 5 MONTHS-visiting in our garage-they our front, DH and I at the back.

OUR FIRST DUTY IS TO OURSELVES TO PREVENT ANY POTENTIAL SPREAD TO OTHERS, STARTING WITH OUR OWN LOVED ONES.

And yes, I have immuno-compromised loved ones-DH and DS.

What do some you want-for us to go out and mask everyone?  Attend these pool parties with bull-horns admonishing everyone to get out of the pool?

We can care about ourselves and we can care about what has happened to this country-sickness, hospitalizations, deaths, job loss, economy in tatters-it's not all or nothing.

To say posters are selfish and non-caring just because our hair is not on fire is rude and such high horse riding will not work with me.

People can question stats and reports; it's the right thing to do.

But saying people who DO question, who DO THINK, are uncaring is wrong on so many levels.

Just stop.  Please.

@Cakers3  Big thumbs up... Top to bottom...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

@stevieb, I can assure you I know the legal definition of “duty to warn.”  I am a college-educated former paralegal.  I would have thought that speaking of my personal experiences - as well as knowing experiences of a doctor treating virus patients - would have indicated that I felt a personal, certainly not legal, duty to warn.  Obviously, I have fulfilled what I believe is my obligation.

I could go into a detailed explanation of my personal code of ethics, but why bother?  Wasted words, falling on deaf ears, opening me up to whatever.

@PamfromCT  I'm sorry if you felt unduly criticised... That was not my intent at all. There was another post, I believe now deleted, citing the 'duty to warn' and my wish to elucidate the legal definition stemmed as much from that comment as from anything you said... Clearly, there is a difference between an individual motivation to speak out and a legal reality... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@lianne. "Could" reach 100,000. That means may or may not. I don't know why, with so many governors orders about social distancing -and with some ordering mask-wearing - the protesters are being given a pass everywhere for violating those orders. It is possible to still protest and obey those orders.

Back to the article, which I had already seen, there are a lot of "ifs" in that including what the protesters do or fail to do. And the point is made that recent spikes may be attritutable to more testing being done. (Which then is not really spiking)
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3Using examples, how did you get the impression that anyone thinks you personally are selfish and uncaring? You keep saying it, but I haven't seen anyone call you names or call you out personally. Is something going on that we're not seeing?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think some of confusion comes because this is a new virus and no one really knows the answers yet.  We also don't have any consistent guidelines with every state doing things different.  We are just starting to come out of quarantine here in the PNW.  

I have two neighbors who are physicians here, a cousin, niece and a very good friend who are physicians and nurses in So Cal and I am taking all their leads on this which are consistent.  I am still having groceries delivered but I am venturing out tomorrow to get my hair cut.  They are only going places where masks are required and so far the only ones I am aware of are Costco and Trader Joe's but I am sure there are more.  I would rather error on the side of caution.

Contributor

Dependant on where you live and how dense the population is in your state/town.