Respected Contributor

Re: Prediction another 100,000 deaths by end of Summer from Covid- 19

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@HiLo wrote:

The subject of the virus seldom comes up anymore on the news.  Wonder why?

All of the new sources that I watch cover it daily.

Of course there are news reports on the virus everyday on all the channels but the fact is that now they aren't the only  topic of discussion.

Honored Contributor

Yes, Johns Hopkins is predicting another 100,000 deaths.  Not a run of the mill hospital.  Only time will tell.  Not sure about end of summer, but it's feasible by the end of the year.  We're already over 112,000.  

Just heard on Fox, CA, FL, AZ, and TX are seeing what they are calling spikes in cases.

Texas had been going down, but had 2100 hospitalizations in one day yesterday.  

I see this all the time, the blame gamers come out of the woodwork, but never think if initially they had to make decisions based on an unknown virus, what they would do.  No one knew how serious it would be. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and they use it all the time.  "See, we should have done this.  Off with their heads."  Usually, they have an agenda and will look for any evidence to support it even though it might be wrong. 

What is clear now, it's dangerous for those over a certain age, so play it safe.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In defense of @Pearley it is another "gloom and doom" thread. There wasn't anything in the original post that was pleasant news. The definition of gloom and doom is sad and tragic events. 

As I have said before I am not a fan of "predictions". They are a guess of what may or may not happen. I want answers with facts that can back up a comment. Anyone can pull a crystal ball out and become a soothsayer.

Predictions like this "rile" up people needlessly. They would be better off not saying anything in my opinion until they are positive.

Regular Contributor

Taken seriously here.  I'm over 60 and only go out for groceries and short walks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@noodleann   One of many sources...

Link removed because of political sidebars 

@noodleann  please go to Business insiders dot com

Can't get access because it thinks I have an ad blocker. But this is a news aggregator, so it doesn't report, it just regurgitates. I'd like to know the primary source of this warning. Unless there was none.

We were treated to another poster yesterday claiming that the U.S. military was being used to bolster U.S. business interests in Europe, something that, if true, would be a clear abuse of the military. But she had no proof. It's tiring to read people take off from a tiny snippet of what's often a columnist or blogger's opinion and spin it into fantastic "facts" and warnings that are usually the poster's own conclusions.

IMO, no "drastic action" needs to be taken and no "drastic action" will be taken on the coronavirus front, at least in the near future. If "drastic action" is taken, it will be all about the economy, and it probably won't benefit us. Things may change if one of the scores of firms trying to develop a  vaccine gets one approved, but that's a way off.

Wear your mask and keep distancing. That's all you can do.

So well said @noodleann and I agree completely. One of my main gripes with these threads is that they are often not based in fact or in reality.  I know people get tired of hearing about 'fake' news, but it is out there. Speculation is not news, and in fact, it's often little more than opinion...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 wrote:

You cannot blame the increase completely on early opening of states.   There is another major factor which will contribute to an increase.   I certainly didn't observe any social distancing happening the past few weeks.

I get your drift @Junebug54  and @Lali1 and agree completley, but assume we're not allowed to say so out loud...

Esteemed Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

In defense of @Pearley it is another "gloom and doom" thread. There wasn't anything in the original post that was pleasant news. The definition of gloom and doom is sad and tragic events. 

As I have said before I am not a fan of "predictions". They are a guess of what may or may not happen. I want answers with facts that can back up a comment. Anyone can pull a crystal ball out and become a soothsayer.

Predictions like this "rile" up people needlessly. They would be better off not saying anything in my opinion until they are positive.

The predictions are based on "what ifs" and "if/thens".  IF people don't follow recommended precautions and don't social distance THEN there will likely be 100,000 additional deaths by end of summer.  WHAT IF people do follow recommended precautions and maintain social distancing, the infection and death rate will fall dramatically.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 An excellent point.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect and I mean that sincerely, let's not be too bold with this whole 'duty to warn' mantra... Duty to warn is a concept out of tort law that indicates, in an nutshell, that a party is responsible for warning another when there is an opportunity to do so and where a hazard  exists. Failure to do so then becomes a liability issue... I believe the concept stemmed from incidents of predictable violent behavior whereby threats were bona fide... and potential victims were not warned...  It has since been extended into product liability, property liability, criminal activity and so on... Where this virus and these boards are concerned, it's a real stretch... We're all adults here and by virtue of the fact that we are here, we're literate... We are aware of this threat, of how to obtain information we deem necessary, and of what we supposedly can do to help contain the threat.. Endless discussion, to my mind, is not serving any purpose related to any sort of 'duty to warn'...

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Just heard on Fox, CA, FL, AZ, and TX are seeing what they are calling spikes in cases.

Texas had been going down, but had 2100 hospitalizations in one day yesterday.  

@Foxxee   There were not 2100 new hospitalizations in one day.

The hospitalizations increased over a period of 3 days from Mon. through Wed.

Mon-record high of 1935 (not admitted on the same day)

Tues-number increased to 2000 (not admitted on the same day)

Wed.-2153 are hospitalized (not admitted on the same day)

These stats are totals regarding how many people are in the hospital, not admissions happening every day.

Yes, there are spikes in cases in TX, however.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh