Honored Contributor

Re: Pre Nups. Just for conversation.

Husband and I signed one over 25 years ago.

Respected Contributor

It depends on the situation. Older people with assets to protector for their heirs probably need prenups. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It totally depends on the situation.

When I got married 24 years ago, it wasn't necessary.

I would definitely get one at this stage of my life to protect myself and my children.  

Honored Contributor

Neither of us had anything when we married, not even enough for a lawyer to even draw one up but I can see why it’s necessary in many circumstances 

Respected Contributor

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a prenuptial agreement. In the case of the couple on the show you are referring to, that girl should ABSOLUTELY sign it! This is family money and she should be happy to sign it! Even in the case of divorce, she would get alimony and child support. She has NO right to his money!

She's 25 years old, a child!

Honored Contributor

I'm in favor of pre-nups for couples who have assets and families from previous marriages.  I've never given mich thought to pther circumstances.

Esteemed Contributor

While sometimes necessary, I personally feel a prenup is planning for failure. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

At this point in my life, I wouldn't consider getting married without a pre-nup in place! Certainly, I'd hope that most people don't enter a marriage with idea of what might happen to their assets if it doesn't work out, but I'm also a firm believer that you've got to protect yourself and everything you've worked for. 

Had I not gotten a pre but just to save my home for my children, I would have lost it.  The marriage lasted seven years.  I saved the home which was mine before marrage.  He came in with nothing.  Did my own divorce and he kept his stuff and I kept mine.

He did try to make me take equity out of the home.  I refused.  Later learned, he wanted to pay back chi!d support.  When you get in your later years, you sometime get desperate, so along comes a smooth talked and you go for it.  

If we were young and starting out together, no need for a pre nup.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ I think long term, loving relationships are wonderful. But "marriage" is a completely different, separate concept. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood.

I understood your point exactly.We just have different opinions about marriage.

Honored Contributor

If I were asked to sign a pre-nup, my answer would be "good-bye."