Honored Contributor

Re: Pre-K Children in Camden, NJ Given Milk Cartons Filled with Hand Sanitizer

I can't think the children would drink it if it was just sanitizer, so it must have been mostly milk. How could no one packaging notice the mistake. No wonder there are so many recalls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ROMARY, I agree with the gist of what you wrote.  For quite a while I've thought that the younger folks somehow escaped developing a sharp and concentrated focus the way many of us older folks were encouraged to do.  

Perhaps the rote exercises we did as well as the memorization of pages of all forms/tenses of a verb (in my day, we termed them Present, Past and Past Participle) helped teach us discipline and focus.  We either knew the specifics or we didn't.  No fudging.

I admit to being horrified by the past tenses and past participles that I now hear from network and local reporters.  Even The Washington Post has weak proofreaders at this time.  That really crushes me.

Who had to stand in front of the class and do the multiplication tables -- up to 12 X 12 -- until they were delivered perfectly?

I believe that the rigors of what was ultimately barred from the classroom as boring and uncreative helped us to do careful work.  I'm sure I've overlooked other important training we had that made us more dedicated and careful employees, but these are some of my random thoughts on this subject.

[Yes, there are more appalling matters to deal with now, and fussing over the correct past participle of a verb might seem frivolous, but my thought is that practicing such exercises might have made the difference in making us more meticulous in our work.] 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Dozens of NJ Students Sent to Hospital After Sanitizer Found in School Milk

Camden City schools sent 25 children to the hospital out of precaution after "consumable" sanitizer was found in milk cartons distributed at a kindergarten and pre-K facility on Wednesday, according to officials

Published 1 hour ago Updated 53 mins ago

A couple dozen public school students in Camden, New Jersey, went to the hospital as a precaution after they drank school-issued milk that contained sanitizer, the school district and a Camden County spokesman said Wednesday.

None of the students were ill and none had any symptoms of sickness when they were taken to a city hospital on Wednesday, a county spokesman said. They went to the hospital as a precaution.

The school district said in a series of tweets and a Facebook post that the contaminated milk was given out at the Early Children Development Center, where kindergarten and pre-K students attend.

The substance is apparently used to prevent anything harmful from getting into the milk when it is packaged before shipping. It is consumable, the school district said.

"Unfortunately, many cartons were filled with the sanitizer, sealed, and then shipped out with the milk. We pulled all milk today and NO milk will be served until the investigation is completed," Camden schools said in a tweet. "Emergency teams were dispatched to the school."

SOURCEnbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/dozens-of-nj-students-sent-to-hospital-after-sanitizer-found-in-school-milk/3192770/

They had BETTER find another vendor for their milk.  What a load of junk to do to these poor kids.  Camden, NJ has a lot of lower income children.  I hope the parents get involved and DEMAND that their dept of education find a new vendor.  This is unacceptable.  First the lead in Detroit, now hand sanitizer in their milk.  I'm disgusted.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Yet another good reason to send in all your kid's foods. The school my son went to did not even have bought lunches/breakfast available. All food had to be provided from home for each student. 

At least you know what you are getting that way. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Yet another good reason to send in all your kid's foods. The school my son went to did not even have bought lunches/breakfast available. All food had to be provided from home for each student. 

I'll bet your property taxes (if it was a public school) is supposed to fund their meals @Mominohio .  I can see parents doing this for children who special dietary needs.  Schools, SHOULD provide at least one meal.  I've never heard of a public school not providing at least one meal.  What a rip off to the taxpayers.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I'll bet your property taxes (if it was a public school) is supposed to fund their meals @Mominohio .  I can see parents doing this for children who special dietary needs.  Schools, SHOULD provide at least one meal.  I've never heard of a public school not providing at least one meal.  What a rip off to the taxpayers.

@gertrudecloset 

We did not use the public schools. This was a small private school. 

What most public schools provide as 'food' or 'meals' is tragic, and pitiful. It really needs taken out of the hands of the government and privatized. I'm sure it would be done better, the food quality would be better and kids might actually eat it. 

Sadly in our society, so many kids depend on their free public school meals, many as their only foods for the day. How sad it is to see what so many are being served, and how much it is costing for the poor quality. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

We did not use the public schools. This was a small private school. 

What most public schools provide as 'food' or 'meals' is tragic, and pitiful. It really needs taken out of the hands of the government and privatized. I'm sure it would be done better, the food quality would be better and kids might actually eat it. 

Sadly in our society, so many kids depend on their free public school meals, many as their only foods for the day. How sad it is to see what so many are being served, and how much it is costing for the poor quality. 

I understand now @Mominohio .  I agree that what most public schools provide is awful.  It is, however, better than nothing at all as a lot of lower income households rely on that one or two meals their children get from school.  For them, it's better than not having anything to eat all.

Respected Contributor

I'm also wondering how the children got to the hospital. 25 ambulances? One school bus? Staff cars? With or without parent permission? The reporting suggests all the children went to Cooper Hospital. To the ER? It's always full. The lobby?

Trusted Contributor

This  could ultimately have lethal consequences. Hopefully the children only took one drink and realized it was not milk. Sounds like more than one head needs to roll. This is inexcusable.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like there will be several versions of this story as the facts are determined; then they will settle on one and stick with it. I just pray none of those little children get sick due to the negligence of others. The current vendor should be contracted with the fed gov't free lunch program, where there should already be strict safety guidelines in place. They need a view vendor ASAP.