QVC Customer Care

Re: Prayers to the Police Officers in Baton Rouge

Frequent Contributor

And the teachers I know have great pensions. Please stop. Good men have died and y'all are whining that they are paid well or you are not paid enough. SERIOUSLY!

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I don't consider $65 K for a police officer to be high pay at all when one considers the demands of the job, both physical and psychological.  They have a lot of responsibility.  The violence against police has to stop.

when I see theses numbers thrown around, what seems to be always missing is the COST OF LIVING for the area...........what someone is paid in California may seem like a fortune in another state, area, county.......but could be just above the poverty line for the area.................................................raven

Wouldn't the salary for anyone matter from area to area? Your point seems rather "moot."

I understand what everyone is saying but I would also point out beyond the COL factor these people are putting their lives on the line to protect us.  I am lucky to live in a relatively safe area but I still appreciate knowing the police are there should I need them along with emergency services which I needed when my mom became ill.  You just cannot put a price on that.

Any and all of our emergency services deserve to be compensated for keeping us safe.

I agree.  I'm not the one who started this.  Better find another way to finish it.  I just participted like others.

More than fair enough @itiswhatitis as this thread has expanded into several different directions and I hope you know nothing was directed at you and in retrospect I shouldn't have used your quote to make my post and I apologize for that.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Starting pay for SF Police is $81,300 something thousand plus excellent benefits.

After 7 years it's $113,000 something.

IMO LE and our military should be paid well, they deserve it.

Yes, and raven-blackbird's point above about cost of living is well taken.  Isn't the cost of housing in the SF area through the roof?

@Ms X  The police can easily make two, sometimes three times that pay, what with special events and overtime.  

I have seen no reports of complaints or their having a hard time making ends meet.  This isn't New York, lol.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Stormygirl wrote:
I have 2 brothers, 2 nephews who are...or as of today were police officers. ALL of them handed in their badges today and have other jobs lined up. I am frankly relieved and I do not blame them one bit for this hard decision.. One brother had in over 20 years and ALL of them have families of their own. Nephew has a new baby. Is just not worth it to them anymore to become targets of violence. Their wives worried each time they left for work II suspect will be soon harder to recruit police.. I hear they are having a hard time getting anyone to fill the positions left.

What will they do now?  Do they have other careers lined up?

She said they have jobs lined up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Starting pay for SF Police is $81,300 something thousand plus excellent benefits.

Yes, and raven-blackbird's point above about cost of living is well taken.  Isn't the cost of housing in the SF area through the roof?

I'll bet it doesn't top NYC's!

@itiswhatitis

You are right!

PLUS, they DO NOT have to live in SF.  There are less expensive places to live right next door.

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

Check yourselves people! There should really be nothing to get heated about as the title of the thread should sum it up.... Whether it's a prayer request, a moment of silence, a warm, genuine thought for the victims, their loved ones, colleagues, the community they protected, this city, state and nation need unity.
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Ms X  The police can easily make two, sometimes three times that pay, what with special events and overtime.  

I have seen no reports of complaints or their having a hard time making ends meet.  This isn't New York, lol.

I realize that they make extra money with details, and I'm okay with it.  I'm not implying you aren't.  Really, $130 K or even more isn't excessive for a cop who's basically working two jobs to support his or her family.

Esteemed Contributor

If this thread were about pay for various professions, I could have my say.

But it isn't.

I am praying for the innocent police lost, on an ordinary day.  I will also pray for their families.  And for their fellow officers.  And for all police keeping us safe.  And for our country.  That we may have peace and caring toward one another.

If one does not believe in prayer, I guess I would ask them to hold this all in their thoughts.