Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prayers to the Police Officers in Baton Rouge

@Ms X wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Starting pay for SF Police is $81,300 something thousand plus excellent benefits.

After 7 years it's $113,000 something.

IMO LE and our military should be paid well, they deserve it.

Yes, and raven-blackbird's point above about cost of living is well taken.  Isn't the cost of housing in the SF area through the roof?

I'll bet it doesn't top NYC's!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Starting pay for SF Police is $81,300 something thousand plus excellent benefits.

I agree.  So should teachers, so should fire departments and emergency medical personnel.  The list could go on!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I agree.  So should teachers, so should fire departments and emergency medical personnel.  The list could go on!

@itiswhatitis  That may well be but this thread is about police officers and them getting killed and not being paid enough for the risks they take.   Easy to get off topic so please don't.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I don't consider $65 K for a police officer to be high pay at all when one considers the demands of the job, both physical and psychological.  They have a lot of responsibility.  The violence against police has to stop.

when I see theses numbers thrown around, what seems to be always missing is the COST OF LIVING for the area...........what someone is paid in California may seem like a fortune in another state, area, county.......but could be just above the poverty line for the area.................................................raven

Wouldn't the salary for anyone matter from area to area? Your point seems rather "moot."

I understand what everyone is saying but I would also point out beyond the COL factor these people are putting their lives on the line to protect us.  I am lucky to live in a relatively safe area but I still appreciate knowing the police are there should I need them along with emergency services which I needed when my mom became ill.  You just cannot put a price on that.

Any and all of our emergency services deserve to be compensated for keeping us safe.

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:
I have 2 brothers, 2 nephews who are...or as of today were police officers. ALL of them handed in their badges today and have other jobs lined up. I am frankly relieved and I do not blame them one bit for this hard decision.. One brother had in over 20 years and ALL of them have families of their own. Nephew has a new baby. Is just not worth it to them anymore to become targets of violence. Their wives worried each time they left for work II suspect will be soon harder to recruit police.. I hear they are having a hard time getting anyone to fill the positions left.

I sure can understand that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I don't consider $65 K for a police officer to be high pay at all when one considers the demands of the job, both physical and psychological.  They have a lot of responsibility.  The violence against police has to stop.

when I see theses numbers thrown around, what seems to be always missing is the COST OF LIVING for the area...........what someone is paid in California may seem like a fortune in another state, area, county.......but could be just above the poverty line for the area.................................................raven

Wouldn't the salary for anyone matter from area to area? Your point seems rather "moot."

I understand what everyone is saying but I would also point out beyond the COL factor these people are putting their lives on the line to protect us.  I am lucky to live in a relatively safe area but I still appreciate knowing the police are there should I need them along with emergency services which I needed when my mom became ill.  You just cannot put a price on that.

Any and all of our emergency services deserve to be compensated for keeping us safe.

@momtochloe

well said girl..................well said..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:
I have 2 brothers, 2 nephews who are...or as of today were police officers. ALL of them handed in their badges today and have other jobs lined up. I am frankly relieved and I do not blame them one bit for this hard decision.. One brother had in over 20 years and ALL of them have families of their own. Nephew has a new baby. Is just not worth it to them anymore to become targets of violence. Their wives worried each time they left for work II suspect will be soon harder to recruit police.. I hear they are having a hard time getting anyone to fill the positions left.

What will they do now?  Do they have other careers lined up?

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I agree.  I'm not the one who started this.  Better find another way to finish it.  I just participted like others.

*Call Tyrone*
Frequent Contributor

In reality you don't work a full year as a teacher. At the most 9 months with multiple breaks. Next you do not lay your life on the line on a daily basis and you do not work the hours these police officers do. So please don't even compare being a teacher to a police officer. And if you don't like teaching I hear there are openings for police officers. Cannot believe you would compare your salary to theirs. Please!