Honored Contributor

Re: Prayers to the Police Officers in Baton Rouge

@wildcat fan wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@nana59 Someone interviewed about a half an hour ago mentioned the slary of police officers in Baton Rouge and it was something - of course now I forgot the exact figure - that I would never risk my life every day for.   Hugely underpaid.

It was mentioned a little while ago on TV that the median is $49,000/year.  That's more than I make as a teacher with a masters degree.  That's more than a lot of people around here make.

that may be true...........but............do you go to work EVERY day with the possible expection that today is the day someone will fire a gun at you........and IF you're lucky you MAY go home that night................................raven

Actually, yes, I do.  Every year I have taught there have been knives and guns confiscated.  Some were brought into my classroom.  

My heart breaks for teachers these days as they are faced with dealing with many things parents and society do not want to deal with themselves.  In the same token, I can't imagine what it must be like to have a LE officer in your life at this point as I cannot fathom the anger that is directed at them right now.

I worked at a job many years ago where someone made very menacing threats but they were too afraid to fire him (instead they put up a sign that said "no guns allowed beyond this point").  Oh yes, thanks for that.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be either a teacher (which was always considered a safe job) or a LE officer (which was always considered a respected job).  It breaks my heart that neither seems to be true these days.

There are so many unhappy/troubled people these days and again I am so sorry that it is those people that signed up for their jobs to do good that end up so frighteningly on the front lines like this.  God bless all of them.

Honored Contributor

Rest in peace dear officers, and thoughts and prayers to their families and friends.   .........In general: Unfortunately, we are living in a 'good luck vrs. bad luck' environment right now.  Being in the wrong or right place in the wrong or right time.  That's all I can think of right now.  Safety to all, and the best of good luck to all of us. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I have 2 brothers, 2 nephews who are...or as of today were police officers. ALL of them handed in their badges today and have other jobs lined up. I am frankly relieved and I do not blame them one bit for this hard decision.. One brother had in over 20 years and ALL of them have families of their own. Nephew has a new baby. Is just not worth it to them anymore to become targets of violence. Their wives worried each time they left for work II suspect will be soon harder to recruit police.. I hear they are having a hard time getting anyone to fill the positions left.
Respected Contributor

I don't consider $65 K for a police officer to be high pay at all when one considers the demands of the job, both physical and psychological.  They have a lot of responsibility.  The violence against police has to stop.

Respected Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:
I have 2 brothers, 2 nephews who are...or as of today were police officers. ALL of them handed in their badges today and have other jobs lined up. I am frankly relieved and I do not blame them one bit for this hard decision.. One brother had in over 20 years and ALL of them have families of their own. Nephew has a new baby. Is just not worth it to them anymore to become targets of violence. Their wives worried each time they left for work II suspect will be soon harder to recruit police.. I hear they are having a hard time getting anyone to fill the positions left.

@Stormygirl  We have a daughter-in-law with two beautiful young children, ages 6 and 3. You can imagine how much I wish she would turn in her badge. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I don't consider $65 K for a police officer to be high pay at all when one considers the demands of the job, both physical and psychological.  They have a lot of responsibility.  The violence against police has to stop.

when I see theses numbers thrown around, what seems to be always missing is the COST OF LIVING for the area...........what someone is paid in California may seem like a fortune in another state, area, county.......but could be just above the poverty line for the area.................................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I don't either, but these are the facts.  Can't skip around those.  We can have our own opinions but we can't have our set of facts.

Quite frankly, many jobs that people pursue that are "mission" driven public and civic service know the unfortunate fact that their pay will be less than a CEO in a corporate company.  The same holds true for our military.  They go into service for the sake of "service."

I've worked for paltry sums at times in non profits ~ and the reward is not in the salary, but rather the mission of the organization.

It is what it is.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Starting pay for SF Police is $81,300 something thousand plus excellent benefits.

After 7 years it's $113,000 something.

IMO LE and our military should be paid well, they deserve it.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Starting pay for SF Police is $81,300 something thousand plus excellent benefits.

After 7 years it's $113,000 something.

IMO LE and our military should be paid well, they deserve it.

Yes, and raven-blackbird's point above about cost of living is well taken.  Isn't the cost of housing in the SF area through the roof?

Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

when I see theses numbers thrown around, what seems to be always missing is the COST OF LIVING for the area...........what someone is paid in California may seem like a fortune in another state, area, county.......but could be just above the poverty line for the area.................................................raven

Wouldn't the salary for anyone matter from area to area? Your point seems rather "moot."

*Call Tyrone*