Honored Contributor

Re: Prayers to the Police Officers in Baton Rouge

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@nana59 Someone interviewed about a half an hour ago mentioned the slary of police officers in Baton Rouge and it was something - of course now I forgot the exact figure - that I would never risk my life every day for.   Hugely underpaid.

I heard last week I think, that the average pay for a police officer is around $40,000.

Don't quote me on that though.

@Plaid Pants2  I think that's right. When I was typing my post above, I was remembering the person interviewed earlier on TV as saying $39,000-something (under $40k) but as I typed I thought to myself, "that can't be right" so I didn't post that.  But I think, from what you said, I did remember it correctly!  Not enough!

Honored Contributor

Oh good grief what profession doesn't think they deserve more money than they currently get?

fact is, police officers and our military often risk their lives and get paid squat for protecting us and our freedoms. They deserve better pay for that risk. It is pathetic what they are paid, especially for what we expect them to do for that meager pay. 

Teachers should get get paid better as well but there also needs to be a higher standard and more rigorous schooling for teachers because, honestly, there are many out there that have no business being a teacher. 

Valued Contributor

@Lsk wrote:

Please tell him THANK YOU!

@@Raven-blackbird, sorry, this to you and  your son!

Respected Contributor

@Lsk wrote:

@Lsk wrote:

@Mlsg

I'll pass it on to him..........they don't hear that often, so I'm sure he'll appreciate it.........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Lsk wrote:

@Lsk wrote:

@Mlsg

I'll pass it on to him..........they don't hear that often, so I'm sure he'll appreciate it.........................................raven

Yes please, I REALLY appreciate what he is doing and thanks never enought and THANKS YOU TOO, mother who raised son like this.i have two sons and I know that this not easy and live with this every day.My appreciation to you!

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@nana59 Someone interviewed about a half an hour ago mentioned the slary of police officers in Baton Rouge and it was something - of course now I forgot the exact figure - that I would never risk my life every day for.   Hugely underpaid.

It was mentioned a little while ago on TV that the median is $49,000/year.  That's more than I make as a teacher with a masters degree.  That's more than a lot of people around here make.

that may be true...........but............do you go to work EVERY day with the possible expection that today is the day someone will fire a gun at you........and IF you're lucky you MAY go home that night................................raven

Actually, yes, I do.  Every year I have taught there have been knives and guns confiscated.  Some were brought into my classroom.  

This, considering all the violence that takes place in American schools I think we all have to be grateful we get to see another day.  The every day Joe/Jane is not guaranteed to come home when they leave in the morning.  Sad but true.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I heard last week I think, that the average pay for a police officer is around $40,000.

@Plaid Pants2  I think that's right. When I was typing my post above, I was remembering the person interviewed earlier on TV as saying $39,000-something (under $40k) but as I typed I thought to myself, "that can't be right" so I didn't post that.  But I think, from what you said, I did remember it correctly!  Not enough!

We understand this is the starting salary, yes?  We also understand that they get loads and loads of paid overtime.  At least that's the case in my state.  Officers on the job after 3 years can earn up to $65,00 per year before OT.  

Of course this depends on the part of the country we're talking about.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

We understand this is the starting salary, yes?  We also understand that they get loads and loads of paid overtime.  At least that's the case in my state.  Officers on the job after 3 years can earn up to $65,00 per year before OT.  

Of course this depends on the part of the country we're talking about.

The pensions can be quite generous as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

The top 100 highest paying cities for police and sheriff's patrol officers (ranked by average annual salary) are listed in Table 1. The entry level salary (as measured by the salary of the lowest 10% paid earners) and the number of employment of police and sheriff's patrol officers in those cities are also shown in the table. As shown in the table, with a annual salary of $102,880, Nassau-Suffolk, New York is the highest paying city for police and sheriff's patrol officers. It is followed by San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, California (average annual salary $102,450). The salary and employment information is computed from data published by U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2015 [1]. For more salary information of police and sheriff's patrol officers in a specific city, use the links in the table.

http://www.usawage.com/high-pay/cities-police_and_sheriffs_patrol_officers.php

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

I was trying not to click on these threads as inevitably there seems to always a few that have to stir the pot. It is heartbreaking as to what is going on in the world today. I really feel pain and sorrow for all of the victim's and their loved ones. These officers simply went to work only never to come home. There is an entire "organized agenda/movement to instill fear and promote violence...it is literally some people's sole purpose everyday to promote violence and hatred. What a sad choice of free will....