Respected Contributor

Re: Prayers this Sunday morning

[ Edited ]

Let's not talk about the shooter right now. The important conversation should be about the poor souls that lost  their lives, their families, and our country

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:
Let's not talk about the shooter right now. The important conversation should be about the poor souls that most their lives, their families, and our country

Let's not tell other people what they should/shouldn't do or feel. That is, after all, what the shooter expressed.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I don't think the nature of the victims will be forgotten, as there's a news story out quoting the terrorist's father as saying he was upset about men kissing each other.  I'm starting to wonder whether this is classic terrorism or whether he had a mental illness or maybe both.  We still don't know for sure why he did this.  It could have been a mixture of motives.

A mental illness only if hatred and bigotry are mental illnesses.

Motive? Hatred, bigotry and religious extremism - any or all of which could still have been motives if his name was John Smith.

When I read in a news story that he was upset about "men kissing each other," it occurred to me that he could be mentally unwell.  Often people with psychological problems will fixate on things in an irrational way and then act out, again irrationally.  As for the religious extremism, I'm not sure what aspect of John Smith's religion would motivate him to do this. 

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I'm not telling people how to feel.  I'm afraid the thread will be poofed if there is talk about the shooter.   

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I don't think the nature of the victims will be forgotten, as there's a news story out quoting the terrorist's father as saying he was upset about men kissing each other.  I'm starting to wonder whether this is classic terrorism or whether he had a mental illness or maybe both.  We still don't know for sure why he did this.  It could have been a mixture of motives.

A mental illness only if hatred and bigotry are mental illnesses.

Motive? Hatred, bigotry and religious extremism - any or all of which could still have been motives if his name was John Smith.

When I read in a news story that he was upset about "men kissing each other," it occurred to me that he could be mentally unwell.  Often people with psychological problems will fixate on things in an irrational way and then act out, again irrationally.  As for the religious extremism, I'm not sure what aspect of John Smith's religion would motivate him to do this. 

We got it the first time!! You are giving this animal attention and playing an armchair psychologist to boot! good grief

Respected Contributor

With all due respect, @Melania, I don't need your permission to reply to another poster's comment on my previous post.

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

I wasn't going to say this but I guess I can't help myself. We had the White House lit up in rainbow last summer. The truth that is getting tippy toed around is the shooters thoughts on what we Americans are slowly but surely tolerating and passing laws for theirs wishes and rights.

Didn't have to wait long until someone chose to be both political and ugly.

Yes, we Americans ARE passing civil rights laws once again - no matter how much the bigoted, homophobic and extreme don't like it. There is often a heavy price to pay for civil rights. Just ask Martin Luther King, Jr.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

With all due respect, @Melania, I don't need your permission to reply to another poster's comment on my previous post.

Nor I, yours.