Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prayers for all those in Ida's path...

Certainly praying for all in the path of the storm, may they be protected.  

We live in northern CT.  We were hit by Storm Alfred a number of years back.  We lost power, lost cell phone towers, and I have never been so scared.  No lights, no land phone, no cell phone working, sitting in our home on the first floor, listening to trees falling in the dark.  Roads were blocked, and even our driveway out was blocked by a large fallen tree.  But then neighborhood angels arrived in a pickup truck and chainsaw.

They cleared our driveway.  We had to leave our home for quite a while for the safety of southern CT.  

And this pales with what the southern fellow Americans have endured and face with this upcoming storm.  We had a tiny taste and remember still.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

Katrina hit 8/29/05 and Ida will hit 8/29/21 as a Category 4 storm.

I hope everyone being advised to evacuate will do so.  With the Covid issues, there will be great difficulty finding shelter from the storm. 

I pray the storm will take a different track and not come in so strong.

Stay safe everyone in the path.

@Mersha    Unless the city charters buses, as they did during Katrina, many people will have no way to evacuate.  The mayor seemed to indicate that won't happen as there's no time for a formal evacuation.  I'm afraid a great many people will be in peril. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@decaf Sandy is one to not forget either.  Another one on the list for the 29th.  Living on the Gulf Coast is beautiful and yet so dangerious during hurricane season.  Some of the people living in Grand Isle, are the most in danger here.  They too are right on the Gulf.

Honored Contributor

@Msfitness   My thoughts are with you and those you love.  I visited New Orleans in the early 1990's and flew into Baton Rouge and took a bus (like Greyhound bus) to New Orleans.  65 miles seems like far away when you are stuck on a bus.  When you are facing a category 4 hurricane barreling your way, not far enough Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

@Bird mama thank you so much for us being in your thoughts.  That means a lot to me.  I agree with you 100%.  It's not that far at all.  I will probably be up all night and morning because I cannot sleep through a hurricane storm.  Rain storm, yes, but not a hurricane.  If we don't lose power during the storm, I will post an update after the hurricane passes.

Trusted Contributor

@Msfitness  The reason I thought of Sandy is because my son's birthday is October 29 and he lived in NJ when Sandy came through. I think you're onto something about the "29th" being a significant hurricane date. 

I hope people near the coast and in danger of flooding, heed exacuation orders. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, everyone in Louisiana.  After you get power back, please come back and let us know how you are.  Stay safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I am keeping everyone in Ida's path in my thoughts.

Anyone watch "Pit bulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet?

Tia has her rescue center (Vilalobos) in New Orleans.

Today I went to the VRC web page, and dropped her a short note saying that I was thinking of everyone there, and to stay safe.

I'm sure that she and her crew are busy battening down the hatches, and is making sure that all of the doggos are safe.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

May all be protected, safe and secure.

This looks to be an incredibly powerful storm.  Please talk all necessary precautions to be safe.

Super Contributor

@decaf thank you so much.  I will check in again most definitely when all is clear.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ida is now a Cat 4. 😯 😧

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.