Trusted Contributor

Re: Prayers for Those in NY, NJ, & PA

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling wrote:

@77yangya 

So sorry for the destruction but it's definitely not climate change.

It was a CAT 4 close to a CAT5 hurricane that you happened to be in the path of it expiring.

Could of gone East out of Lousiana and it decided to go Northeast.

Just another freak of nature.

Not to reference you at all, but I can't believe the people moving around in such a massive storm.

@Just Bling  No, it was a post tropical cyclone.

It is definitely being caused by climate change, the same as the terrible weather system and flooding that occured in the NE after Henri in late August .  "Freaks of nature" don't happen two weeks in a row. .

Millions of people were caught completely off guard during their evening commute, not knowing they were literally risking their lives.

Trusted Contributor

I'm in PA. We had 5 inches of rain in just a few hours. Luckily our sump pumps handled it. But I could just cry when I see the devastating pictures & hear the sad stories...actually beyond sad. I'm praying for all those affected.🙏❤
Valued Contributor

@Mindy D You’re right. It’s a tragedy. Nothing to make light of.
Esteemed Contributor

Can't say for sure it is climate change, but a hurricane will strengthen when it in over warm water.

That is exactly what happened with Ida!

The water in the Gulf, is very warm right now, thanks to our extremely hot summer.

Esteemed Contributor

Between the horrible fires burning up the west, the devastation in Louisiana, and the terrible storms and tornados moving up the eastern seaboard, one might assume there is something going on with our planet.  And wait, terrible things are happening around the world, as well.

How many years ago was “Inconvenient Truth” published?  

There have been those in power who have failed to take climate change seriously, and now we are paying the price.  All for those who don’t take science seriously.

My heart goes out to all who have been subjected to this tragic outcome.  It is so sickening.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

The pictures of all the flooding is breathtaking!

So far, I've heard that 11 people have died.

My đź’— goes out to all who are affected.

I was watching the weather channel.  I could not believe the water I saw in New Jersey, it looked like a ranging river.  I saw an interview of a woman that said her basement filled up and into her living area, it was a mess and on top of that it was sewage.  It was awful.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So everyone has their own opinion and you have your beliefs.

So let's agree to disagree.

These personal attacks are getting pretty bad on this forum, if you do not "conform" you are blasted and everyone wonders why less members participate.

@Mersha   I'm so happy your comments were so insightful.

Respected Contributor

Yes, we are just one of the many casualties.  Our basement is the heart of the house.  The heart stopped beating.

Now, the big clean up and tons of money to replace.  This morning was our last warm water shower.  Plumber expected Saturday to replace boiler.  Our boiler was not even three years old and we paid 1,700.00 for it.  Course, that's small potatoes compared to others.

I will NEVER get the images out of my head of water like the middle of the sea inside apartments, airports, everywhere.  The fire dept. were up to their hips in water.  Our neighborhood was completey under water.

The media said an apartment looked like the Titanic.

So sorry for all that suffered.  May GOD have mercy on us so we can put our lives back together.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The death toll within New York City continues to rise as more victims are discovered, often by their landlords, in basement apartments.   Most of the deceased were trapped in the apartments by the rushing flood waters.

oh, no..........I kept telling my husband TURN IT OFF!

I blame climate change.  The northern hemisphere is melting.  THAT will allow this kind of thing to happen until, well until.  The media know it too. 

I know.  No time to play the blame game but I saw this kind of thing creeping up on us in this area and in the gulf region.

Esteemed Contributor

Housing advocates and City building officials are already re-examining the use of basement apartments.  Particularly, recent zoning changes which allow conversion of single family home cellars and basements to rental units.

Unfortunately in many neighborhoods throughout the boroughs these are the only affordable rental options.