Honored Contributor

Re: Prayers for Those in NY, NJ, & PA

My son lives in the Bronx.  The apartment elevators flooded from pouring rain getting in from above, but thankfully minimal damage to apartments in his building.  He walked to his gym at 4:30am, like he always does, and the entire first floor of the gym was completely flooded.   

Praying for everyone impacted by these floods! 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

The pictures of all the flooding is breathtaking!

So far, I've heard that 11 people have died.

My 💗 goes out to all who are affected.

I'm sending my thanks to anyone who took a moment to think of us. 

I've never seen this kind of weather.

Unfortunately for us, we are the second owners, for 5 years, of a house that was built by its owner, in the mid-fifties.

He built a rather elaborate system of storm damage control, and it's actually so complicated that we've never been able to completely figure it out.

Last night the numerous sump pumps, drains (inside AND ou), trenches, and gravel pits proved no match for the 8.4" of pounding rain that we got for about 5 hours straight.

We managed to get everything off the basement floor and walls, but my dream of finishing the basement as permanent living space have taken at least a temporary hit. 

We too are praying for those who lost far more than we did.

Thanks again, to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper Glad to hear your son is OK!

Esteemed Contributor

The death toll within New York City continues to rise as more victims are discovered, often by their landlords, in basement apartments.   Most of the deceased were trapped in the apartments by the rushing flood waters.

Esteemed Contributor

At least 12 people, including a toddler, were killed in New York City overnight as Ida battered the NYC and flash flood waters filled basement apartments.  The amount of rain was more than expected.

But there were also rescues

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.20.28 PM.png

Some pictures of the flooding in NYC, since I know many of you have connections here.  One is a lady trying to catch a subway.  I don't think she was thinking...

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.23.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.24.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.29.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.43.30 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe  Thank you so much Heart

Honored Contributor

Yikes! That is so horrible!

Welcome to the new normal of extreme weather, my friends. This is not going away. We were warned. No one wanted to believe it would happen this fast, and I can completely understand why.

So much suffering these days.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Just talked to my sister who lives in an old Philly suburb.  A dam in her city is overflowing and there is fear it may break releasing water from its reservoir.  She's in no danger and says most of the houses downstream are high on hills but it would wash out a major highway, which is already closed. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We are at the Jersey shore.  We had a lot of rain and wind.  Many streets flooded but luckily, other than my husband's sunflowers getting beaten down, no damage.

Honored Contributor

One sad reality, so many people whose homes have been badly damaged or destroyed had no flood insurance as they don't live in flood plains.  This will devastate many families financially. 

The rest of us all over the country will suffer increased insurance rates to help cover the losses.  Just think of all the catastrophic losses this year with flooding and fires especially, and it's not nearly over yet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment