Honored Contributor

Re: Pray For Victims in FL 'Horror on the Highway' Crash

[ Edited ]

I just read this on the Associated Press and they said 7 people died.  5 children in the van and the drivers of both semis.  According to that article, one of the semis and a passenger vehicle collided and went through the guardrail into oncoming traffic where the semi collided with another semi, causing both to burst into flames. 

My heart breaks for the parents of those children and for everyone involved.  How do we know there were too many people in the van?  There are "passenger van" that hold 15 people. 

Honored Contributor

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DSe5Yi6v8qA/UjIRAqxyNXI/AAAAAAAAC6A/fYgNsLhCu8E/s1600/UKJem-CIMG4683.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt

In the AP article I'm looking at, the church van and 2nd truck were on the opposite side of the highway when they were hit by the first two vehicles which had collided and then traveled across the median and guardrail.  So the van did not cause the collision in any way. Can't imagine why people would be so fast to place blame on the van with two semis involved.  This story is being carried locally because the 5 children in the church van were from Louisiana.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

58338966-8EB6-4012-A1E9-BFE4838002E1.jpeg

Respected Contributor

So very sad.  When we are on the interstate I am almost holding my breath.  The speeding and weaving in and out of lanes and going to close to car in front of you.  If you are going speed limit people are passing you.  Add cell phones and other distraction... it is so scary.  Florida has very high auto insurance. 

Honored Contributor

**UPDATE** (from the AP)

Five children heading to Disney World in a church van have been identified as among the seven killed in a horror crash on Interstate 75 Thursday night in Florida.

The children were traveling in a large passenger van from Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Patrick Riordan said during a news conference on Friday morning in Alachua, which is south of Gainesville.  

On Thursday, a big rig and a passenger vehicle collided in the northbound lanes of the highway and continued across the guardrail and into the path of another big truck and the church van, investigators said.

Horrifying footage from the scene showed the huge fire engulfing several vehicles, with flames so intense they damaged parts of the road. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Awful.  75 is a rough highway.  You were going slow if you were driving 70.  Hope they are able to piece the details together, so the families can have some kind of closure.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry for all the losses in this horrific crash.  It is such a tragedy. I don't know what caused this horror but I do know when I drive I try to avoid being near any trucks.

I do not like driving on any highways where huge trucks drive.  It has been my experience that many truck drivers get away with speeding and reckless driving much too often.  I see trucks in every lane but the slow lanes where they belong.  I have seen them tailgating, changing lanes without making sure all is clear.  I have seen cars pulled over for recklessness and speeding but never a truck.  Why is this and why aren't trucks following the same rules and laws cars do!  It is a disgrace.

Laws must change and truck drivers must be punished as car drivers when they break the law.  It angers me and it is unacceptable.  

Valued Contributor

There was a time when truckers were called the Knights of the Road. I know there are still many long haul truckers who still obey laws and are considerate of the passenger cars they share the roads with. But sadly, far too many seem to be more concerned with getting from Point A to Point B with little consideration for the rest of us.

DH and I make a few trips a year from NY to FL and back, on I-95, and my blood pressure gets to dam near stroke levels. The number of times we've been cut off by big rigs, that apparently don't have blinkers, is mind boggling. The lane changing they do, passing on the right, moving to the center, etc. is headspinning. I think the problem is there are not enough professional drivers and companies are hiring folks they wouldn't have given a nod to 20 years ago.

I hope the investigators take their time, do what needs doing, and get to the bottom of this horrific tragedy. RIP to the victims - Godspeed. Blessings to their families and may they find peace of heart.
Honored Contributor

I travel this highway often but try to avoid at night.  The truckers (not to offend anyone) are always driving fast.  I have been driving 80 mph and out of nowhere I see "blinking headlights" in my rear view mirror -- it's a semi wanting me to move over (and I'm in the middle lane).  It's really scary sometimes.

The other road I absolutely am fearful of is I-4 heading to Orlando area -- came back from there today & saw 3 accidents.  It was raining and cars are traveling at high speeds -- just takes a second to get distracted to disaster.

When I see these horrific tragedies I'm 💔.  So sad.  I always say a silent prayer for those lost.