Respected Contributor

Practical jokes

[ Edited ]

Do you enjoy a good--and harmless--practical joke? I enjoy them tremendously.

The best one I ever played was on my husband and son. My husband was--allegedly--all grown up Woman Wink--and our son was about 14. They were almost but not quite the same size (dh was slightly larger) so for April Fool's day, I switched their underwear.

When they went to get dressed there was much puzzlement untill I 'fessed up, and then we all laughed a lot.

There was one joke that really back-fired on me--also an April Fool's joke. I called my nephew and said excitedly, "Phillip, Phillip, guess what???"  "What is it?" he said. "I WON THE LOTTERY!" He said "really??"

And I said, "April Fool!"

And he hung up on me! :-)

One morning I was in the shower (as I recall now, these were all April Fool's jokes) my DH yanked open the shower door and took a photograph of me! When I finally stopped laughing (I literally doubled over), he confessed there was no film in the camera, only a flashbulb.

Anyone else care to contribute? I'd love to hear 'em!

Valued Contributor

I dislike practical jokes immensely! I find nothing funny in any of the OP's stories. It's a juvenile "gotcha" that often backfires. I also think there's a mean spirited quality to any practical jokes.

As my late husband used to say, "kidding on the square."   Not funny.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan. I think the only one who enjoys them is the one who is playing the joke.  Not so much the person on the receiving end.

Esteemed Contributor

I also hate practical jokes.  I don't play them or receive them well.  I don't know if I would call them juvenile, but it is just a different type of sense of humor.  I don't have that type.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Practical jokes are having fun at another's expense, using them for amusement.

They are unkind and mean spirited. Fortunately, I have no relationship with any practical jokers.

Honored Contributor

I come from a long time of practical jokers on my dad's side.  There are so many that go back a long long ways when people were poor and didn't have much entertainment!  

Silly stuff, gags, etc.  We would laugh so hard and tell the story and laugh some more until those folks of that generation passed away.  How I do miss that.

I think if people can laugh at themselves, and laugh with their loved ones, that is a very special trait.  Often the one "got" would laugh harder than anyone else.

But it was all in good fun, and a good time was had by all!  

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Practical jokes are having fun at another's expense, using them for amusement.

They are unkind and mean spirited. Fortunately, I have no relationship with any practical jokers.

You make a good point.  This behavior speaks more about the 'joker' than the victim.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of them at all.I think they are mean spirited & hurtful.I like to laugh too but never at another's expense.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan.  I don't find them funny at all.

Honored Contributor

The target of the joke laughs because otherwise he/she will be ridiculed and labeled a poor sport making it even worse.

Actually, it is bullying in the guise of good fun,  just as hazing is bullying promoted as a rite of passage.