Honored Contributor

Re: Powers that be know we're getting SS increase

[ Edited ]

I have a Medicare supplement retirement benefit - former employer pays part, I pay part.   

In the past 12 years,  premium decreased one time .... increased 11 times.  

Good coverage - minimal out-of-pocket.  

Respected Contributor

My current plan G has gone up to $188.  I switched to the new G+ which will only be $142.  They offer same coverage and in addition you get allowances for dental, hearing and eyes.  I really cant use any of the extras, but its the monthly payment reduction I want.  My Rx plan only went up $3.00 so no problem with that.

I dont want any of the Advantage plans because their out of pocket is too much.  And you just dont know what the future holds!

Honored Contributor

We have an advantage PPO plan for about ten years. It is very cheap and has never gone up. Rarely have any out of pocket charges except for some dental work. Also with the plan we have there is no co pay.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   May I ask what plan you have and is it only sold in N.J?

I have a great United Healthcare Advantage PPO plan through my AZ State Retirement System; however, it's not as great as yours seems to be.Smiley Wink

I have small copays and there is a small monthly charge that's deducted from my pension check.  They also give me Delta Dental so I don't use the Advantage Plan for dental work.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   May I ask what plan you have and is it only sold in N.J?

I have a great United Healthcare Advantage PPO plan through my AZ State Retirement System; however, it's not as great as yours seems to be.Smiley Wink

I have small copays and there is a small monthly charge that's deducted from my pension check.  They also give me Delta Dental so I don't use the Advantage Plan for dental work.

@pdlinda Actually I live in NY. Don't really know if the plan is just available there. I don't have it through any retirement system or anything else. Just found it when looking for a plan. We used to have ten dollars copays but that was eliminated a few years ago to zero. It doesn't pay a whole lot for my dental but anything helps. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Nonsense.  The COLA has nothing to do with it.  Costs for service providers have gone up.  None of mine have increased.   Eighteen dollars is a small increase.

@Kachina624 Sorry to disagree--medicare goes up to match, nursing homes go up to match.  Everything eats and eats at any "COLA" given.  It's never enough to outpace what else goes up. 

Regular Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Nonsense.  The COLA has nothing to do with it.  Costs for service providers have gone up.  None of mine have increased.   Eighteen dollars is a small increase.

@Kachina624 Sorry to disagree--medicare goes up to match, nursing homes go up to match.  Everything eats and eats at any "COLA" given.  It's never enough to outpace what else goes up. 

If that is the case the why is Medicare actually going down next year as is the deductible?

My Part D stayed the same. I won't know if my supplement is going up as they raise it at my anniversary date which is not until April. Most supplements go up every year (some twice a year) whether there is a COLA or not. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@SharkE ...  my Mutual of Omaha plan G supplement went UP almost $50 PER MONTH for a monthly payment now over $300.  This has happened the last two years.  They send a letter in September and the new payments begin in October.  This will be my final year with Mutual of Omaha.  I can't take another increase.  They say it is because of medical costs in my zip code.  I am 74 ...  

You can change your supplemental coverage anytime during the year. I changed mine last June and saved $50 a month. 

@CalminHeart - is that true in all states?  

And I know that in most states, even if you just change carriers, you might have to go through underwriting. 

I didn't have to go through underwriting when I changed last June. I don't know if it's my state or the company. My new company is well known and large. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE : That little increase that we are getting? Don't think The Powers that Be really care about that little increase.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

8.7% is pretty good.