Honored Contributor

Re: Powe Outage at Hartsfeld-Jackson Airport in Atlanta

To answer why the emergency backup didn't kick in, in case you haven't seen the answer yet, the fire damaged both systems. 

I feel so bad for those people and the staff that has to deal with them.  I live in Atlanta and I wish I was close enough to at least offer a bedroom. 

I almost got stranded at LaGuardia when Sandy was coming in.  It's zero fun.   

Honored Contributor

Did we see any signs of a fire?  Wouldn’t there be a large Responder presence, especially if there was a fire knocking out everything...

which could cripple an airport of that size?  

Hummm. 

Laugh if you want but...I still have on my tinfoil hat.

Major ‘raised eyebrows’. 

John Goglia, a former board member of the National Transportation Safety Board, told MSNBC on Monday that the power outage wasn't the only failure on Sunday. He said the lack of a plan at an airport of that size was unacceptable and it "needs to have a plan B that's going to work."

"This is not rocket science. We've been dealing with these issues for a long time. Every city with high-rise buildings has to deal with this. ... Somebody needs to sit down and really analyze what happened here, what went wrong, and make the corrective actions," Goglia said.

Goglia also criticized the airport's lack of an evacuation, saying that had a "minor secondary event" happened, it could have caused a panic inside the airport.

"Care, custody and control of the passengers is foremost in the airport's mind and they should have evacuated those passengers," Goglia said.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  According to the locals, the fire was underground and gave off noxious fumes.  There is a single tunnel leading to it and they weren't willing to risk their employees going into a dangerous environment like that without proper protection. 

Sometimes stuff happens and at the worst time but every single person there yesterday is alive to celebrate with their loved ones next week.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Any word on what caused this disaster?

Probably shoddy planning or workmanship.  A backup power system should never have been affected.  That's why you design and implement a reliable backup system.  Sounds like a serious design flaw to me. . . 

From what I heard they said the backup system failed because of what happened to the main system.  So, that's why I said this.  

QVC Customer Care