Esteemed Contributor

Re: Posting on the Company's Time

All this talking and posting about work is making me sleepy...so I gotta go take a nappy nap nap, lol. 

Honored Contributor

It depends on the company and its policies, the type of work, what your job is, and how much downtime there is or isn't.

When I was working, in my job the answer was no. Those in my position were supposed to be work-related busy literally every single second and there was a supv or MD looking over your shoulder every second or a co-worker ready to rat on you - while others in the dept could and did and got no flack for it; very unfair. Not even on breaks or lunch - when I got a break; I often missed them.

Anything I did online I had to sneak - and I did. I got in an hour earlier than anyone else. Heh. I almost never just cruised or played, only posted here a handful of times in 18 yrs.  Would check my mail if I was waiting to hear about something important, or might order something that would sell out otherwise, and that was it. Very quick, nothing lengthy.

Heh - the facility's visitor wi-fi was excruciatingly slow - if you could even get on it. One of the IT guys let it slip how to access the faster "business wi-fi." I did and never looked back. Was later told by dept head (after being tattled on by busybodies who had nothing to do with me or my dept) that I must stop that immediately! I never did. Used the fast wi-fi on breaks & lunch until the day I left. Pfft... The enforcement was totally selective and often based on favoritism, so I felt no guilt. Others played online while I did their work.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

No, not in the school system.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

If people want to post or shop on company time, they will find a way. Smart phones must make it much more difficult to monitor. Years ago before WiFi. a guy in the office was surfing x-rated sites in full view of anyone passing by his office. The company, instead of firing him, took his modem away. So he brought his modem from home and proceeded with his antics. He was reprimanded again, and finally fired after several more weeks of this nonsense. Apparently the company had to update the causes for termination (that had been left unchanged for 50 years at least) to include misuse of the internet.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never even consider posting during work hours or after work hours while I was on the premises.  I'll never even consider trying to access QVC's website (or any personal website) while I was at work--not just because all computer activity is monitored but because it would be unprofessional to do so. 

I had a co-worker who was fired after two months on the job because she was repeatedly using the computer for personal use.  My parents have let go several secretaries for the same reason.  Not worth losing a job over!

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

For those who are still employed, does your Company allow you to go to various websites and in particular allow you to post on the Q forum?

@Just Bling

I know many will try to justify goofing off, but when you're on the company's timeclock, using a company computer, doing personal activities, that's just asking for problems .... or termination.   

Honored Contributor

In the job I retired from, it was termed 'time theft'.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've worked for companies that restrict internet access, block everything outside of company network, or give free reign as long as work is done.  I will be honest and say free reign is my preference but I've also seen it abused and taken away because of one person.  I dislike micromanagers and as a manger do not micromanage but if an employee is not doing their job or getting things done on time or correctly you can be sure I am going to look into why and if the internet is an issue then I have no qualms placing network restrictions on that employee's computer.  

I don't view posting/surfing the net any different than those who spend all day texting/talking on their cells.  

Time wasted around the office comes in all shapes and forms....here's just a few of the ways that go on in my office by various employees throughout the day:

Come in 5-10 minutes late every day.

Go home 5 to 10 minutes early every day.

Take extra long lunch breaks.

Stop by co-workers office or desk and yak yak yak

Hang out in the break room chatting everytime you grab a fresh coffee.

Take personal non emergency calls 

Text all day long

Go for walks 2-3 times a day

Bring your kid to work for various reasons - distracts everoyne around you

Bring your dog to work - same as above - lots of distraction

Reading a book/knitting or other hobbies

Honored Contributor

yes......because i am a partner in the company.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I never....

no way....ever

they pay me to work, nothing else