Honored Contributor

Re: Posting graphics with MALWARE embedded in them - Beware!

Thanks for the reminder, CB!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 eloise said:
On 4/2/2015 ShowMe said:

My Dell technician says he can't emphasize it enough for me not to go to links when they appear here.......just not a good idea.

It might be a good idea for the Webbie to delete those posts where there are links for us to go to......

It's not the links though. We're talking about photos and moving gifs embedded with malware. They can be worse than links because all you do is open the thread and BAM! they get your computer.

Hi Eloise! That's what I kept trying to explain but - well, I give up. Maybe if we say it enough times people will actually see it. *sigh*

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 4/2/2015 eloise said:
On 4/2/2015 ShowMe said:

My Dell technician says he can't emphasize it enough for me not to go to links when they appear here.......just not a good idea.

It might be a good idea for the Webbie to delete those posts where there are links for us to go to......

It's not the links though. We're talking about photos and moving gifs embedded with malware. They can be worse than links because all you do is open the thread and BAM! they get your computer.

Hi Eloise! That's what I kept trying to explain but - well, I give up. Maybe if we say it enough times people will actually see it. *sigh*

I fully understood what you meant. And I was adding to this with what my Dell man says.

I really think it is up to the Q to see that these things do not stay on the boards and they are the ones that need to delete it.......

Regular Contributor

OR out of consideration for other posters we did not post graphics.

Contributor

On 4/2/2015 eloise said:
On 4/2/2015 ShowMe said:

Hi! I know.

I think people don't understand the dangers of pix and gifs and that they don't have to click on anything for their computer to get infected by them.

I couldn't believe when I started posting and saw the Q allows pix and gifs. Other good forums don't do that or they only allow pix and gifs from their own site.

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 Pashmina said:

You know yourself that wouldn't fly on the Q.......

I know I have 2 different antivirus programs and would trust that they catch everything. But, you can never be too careful.

Contributor

On 4/2/2015 ShowMe said:
On 4/2/2015 eloise said:
On 4/2/2015 ShowMe said:

I fully understood what you meant. And I was adding to this with what my Dell man says.

I really think it is up to the Q to see that these things do not stay on the boards and they are the ones that need to delete it.......

The Q shouldn't allow them at all. Depending on your computer you don't always get warnings of the infected photos and moving gifs and they silently infect your computers.

Honored Contributor

I think it's probably one of the biggest mistakes they've made allowing pics and gifs again.

Plus they used to always say 'no outside emoticons'. I don't know their current stand on that, but a lot of emoticons, from those emoticon websites, are loaded with spyware and, in some cases, malware.

One of the biggest problems I see here is putting ginormous pics in a thread so that it just blows up the whole page.

I honestly don't think anybody here, outside of maybe a troll who blows in and out quickly, PURPOSELY posts anything that is loaded. But when it happens we just need to be aware, for our own safety.

Contributor

Agree.

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2015 ShowMe said:

You know yourself that wouldn't fly on the Q.......

I know I have 2 different antivirus programs and would trust that they catch everything. But, you can never be too careful.

Fluffy - Yeah, really! ha

It's true that you never know what could sneak by. It might sound paranoid, but it's not. It's just reality. Smiley Happy