Respected Contributor

Re: Posting From A Coffee Shop

On 11/28/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 11/28/2014 Burnsite said:

I've missed your posts, Noel, but it is good to hear the feast was a success.

I brined a turkey for the first time...and while it was juicy, it was too salty! Ah well, one must experiment once in a while.

How much salt did you use? I have never had it turn out too salty. I follow Alton Browns recipe and it calls for 1 cup of kosher salt, brown sugar and some other things. I boil in a small pan all the salt and sugar to get it to dissolve and fill my large cooler half way with ice and water, I am not sure how many gallons of water and ice I put in there but it is at least 10. I rinse the turkey after brining inside and out thoroughly and then pat dry. I rub in butter all over and under the skin and put herbs inside the cavity. It is honestly the best turkey I have ever had and people tell me the same every single year I have it. I have had to give the recipe over and over, so I usually just print a bunch of the recipes up in advance so I can give them out when they ask, seriously that is how good it is.

The only thing I do different is the cooking time. He cooks it at 500 degrees for the first 30 minutes then down to 350 for the rest. I cook mine at 450 for the first 20 minutes and then at 400 degrees for the rest of the cooking time. I used to cook a turkey at 325 like my mom and this is just too low. It dries out the turkey because it has to be in the oven too long and it dries it out.

Here is his recipe if you are interested.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

we brine ours too using Alton's recipe........BUT............I add pickle juice to the mix, it helps intensify the flavor of the turkey...............then we deep fry the whole bird....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/29/2014 raven-blackbird said:

I brined a turkey for the first time...and while it was juicy, it was too salty! Ah well, one must experiment once in a while.

How much salt did you use? I have never had it turn out too salty. I follow Alton Browns recipe and it calls for 1 cup of kosher salt, brown sugar and some other things. I boil in a small pan all the salt and sugar to get it to dissolve and fill my large cooler half way with ice and water, I am not sure how many gallons of water and ice I put in there but it is at least 10. I rinse the turkey after brining inside and out thoroughly and then pat dry. I rub in butter all over and under the skin and put herbs inside the cavity. It is honestly the best turkey I have ever had and people tell me the same every single year I have it. I have had to give the recipe over and over, so I usually just print a bunch of the recipes up in advance so I can give them out when they ask, seriously that is how good it is.

The only thing I do different is the cooking time. He cooks it at 500 degrees for the first 30 minutes then down to 350 for the rest. I cook mine at 450 for the first 20 minutes and then at 400 degrees for the rest of the cooking time. I used to cook a turkey at 325 like my mom and this is just too low. It dries out the turkey because it has to be in the oven too long and it dries it out.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

we brine ours too using Alton's recipe........BUT............I add pickle juice to the mix, it helps intensify the flavor of the turkey...............then we deep fry the whole bird....................................raven

Funny you say pickle juice because I add pickle juice to my brine for chicken when I make fried chicken, then I flour it and fry. I love what pickle juice adds to the chicken brine but for some reason I have never tried it on turkey. That is a great idea. If I love it on chicken, I am sure I would love it on turkey.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

On 11/29/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

Funny you say pickle juice because I add pickle juice to my brine for chicken when I make fried chicken, then I flour it and fry. I love what pickle juice adds to the chicken brine but for some reason I have never tried it on turkey. That is a great idea. If I love it on chicken, I am sure I would love it on turkey.

LOL so do I that's how it ended up in the turkey brine...........figured if it worked so well with chicken, hey a turkey's a bird too.........and since we deep fry the turkey, it's no big stretch from fried chicken to fried turkey.............so I tried it and it was great..........so that's how we've done it since...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Good to see you Noel and know that you are okay. Hope you get the much needed rain out there. Check in when you can!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

On 11/29/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I've read a few knock-off chick fil a chicken recipes that call for pickle juice. I've never tried it, but I think you're on to something. I try to stick with grilled chicken at chick fil a, but their original is like a drug for me. Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

Hi All!

Our family is back in the 21st century {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

We were glad to find out it wasn't us, so we didn't need to rewire or anything. I did get a lot of dusting done because we moved furniture and heavy bookcases for ease of access, and I did go through a lot of books and magazines for recycling and library donations.

I missed access to looking things up, especially a few recipes I wanted to try for the holidays, so I have a lot of undone work to take care of. Watched some QVC television for gifts because I couldn't hit the online sales.

From now on, NO TURKEY BASTING, this Thanksgiving was the best bird I've ever had! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 12/4/2014 NoelSeven said:

Hi All!

Our family is back in the 21st century {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

We were glad to find out it wasn't us, so we didn't need to rewire or anything. I did get a lot of dusting done because we moved furniture and heavy bookcases for ease of access, and I did go through a lot of books and magazines for recycling and library donations.

I missed access to looking things up, especially a few recipes I wanted to try for the holidays, so I have a lot of undone work to take care of. Watched some QVC online for gifts because I couldn't hit the online sales.

From now on, NO TURKEY BASTING, this Thanksgiving was the best bird I've ever had! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been not to have access to your computer. Our router went yesterday and I had to follow some difficult instructions and put different wires in different spots on the back of my MAC. I hooked up the computer and IPAD and realized how much I rely on the computer.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. {#emotions_dlg.wub}