Valued Contributor

Re: Posting From A Coffee Shop

noel,

good to see you posting. hopefully, your wifi will be up and running soon. happy day after thanksgiving. Smiley Very Happy

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

Noel, hope all is well with your Internet service soon. It's so unusual when we can't get online! We apparently lost power for a while this afternoon, but I was doing the outside decorating, and didn't know it until I came in and saw all the clocks blinking. No bad weather or wind....but PG&E has been doing work in the area.......
Respected Contributor

On 11/28/2014 NoelSeven said: Back for a quickie, LOL! More coffee, in a diner this time Smiley Happy Love to you all! Big storm coming, will rain for five days, thank goodness, we need it! It will take awhile to get back on, they are putting in a new system, I'll hang out in a coffee shop if possible.

No comment on the quickie, LOL.

I really, really hope they are right about the rain. It seems too cold to rain. Hope you get the WIFI going soon. Kind of like when the microwave fritzes. You don't realize how much you miss it until it is gone.

Honored Contributor

It is supposed to rain for a while, Cody! That's why I did outside decorating today. I can decorate inside, or shop, on the rainy days. Lol..not going to comment on the quickie, either!
Respected Contributor

On 11/28/2014 september said: It is supposed to rain for a while, Cody! That's why I did outside decorating today. I can decorate inside, or shop, on the rainy days. Lol..not going to comment on the quickie, either!

That last predicted rainstorm that blew through for two days was barely more than cloudy skies and heavy mist. I am really praying that THIS is going to be the one that quenches our parched water table.

Maybe it will be. Maybe your outside work is what we needed. I would go out and wash my car but I can't waste the water. Besides that...it is dark out.

Honored Contributor

Wash your car, Cody....that will make it rain. Better than a rain dance!
Respected Contributor

On 11/28/2014 september said: Wash your car, Cody....that will make it rain. Better than a rain dance!

I don't know about you but I am all danced out. Three years is a looooonnnnng time to dance. Hope we wake up during the night with the stuff pouring down on the roof.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/28/2014 Burnsite said:

I've missed your posts, Noel, but it is good to hear the feast was a success.

I brined a turkey for the first time...and while it was juicy, it was too salty! Ah well, one must experiment once in a while.

How much salt did you use? I have never had it turn out too salty. I follow Alton Browns recipe and it calls for 1 cup of kosher salt, brown sugar and some other things. I boil in a small pan all the salt and sugar to get it to dissolve and fill my large cooler half way with ice and water, I am not sure how many gallons of water and ice I put in there but it is at least 10. I rinse the turkey after brining inside and out thoroughly and then pat dry. I rub in butter all over and under the skin and put herbs inside the cavity. It is honestly the best turkey I have ever had and people tell me the same every single year I have it. I have had to give the recipe over and over, so I usually just print a bunch of the recipes up in advance so I can give them out when they ask, seriously that is how good it is.

The only thing I do different is the cooking time. He cooks it at 500 degrees for the first 30 minutes then down to 350 for the rest. I cook mine at 450 for the first 20 minutes and then at 400 degrees for the rest of the cooking time. I used to cook a turkey at 325 like my mom and this is just too low. It dries out the turkey because it has to be in the oven too long and it dries it out.

Here is his recipe if you are interested.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Hi, Irish, I followed Alton Brown's recipe to a "T" and my guests loved the turkey. For my taste it was much too salty. I don't cook with salt, usually, so probably this is just my personal preference.

My mother always started the bird at a high temperature for the first 30 minutes, too. It is a tip from the Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School cookbook, which dates from the 1920s.

When trying something new, I go first to Alton Brown online. I never watched his old "Good Eats" series, but he really does have some amazing recipes.

Respected Contributor

Hi, Noel. Glad you had a nice thanksgiving and a good turkey. Smiley Wink I've never cooked a turkey, but both my mom and MIL cook theirs in a bag, with herbs, and mom rubs hers with oil and butter. They are so moist and flavorful! I always just do a ham when I have a holiday at my place. Smiley Happy My family likes turkey, but we don't LOVE it, so nobody complains when I buy a ham that tastes really good. Lol!! Hope your wifi gets fixed soon!