Esteemed Contributor

Re: Posting From A Coffee Shop

I hadn't seen you in a bit and I was hoping you weren't under the weather! Glad to hear it is just a WiFi problem. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I don't really baste my turkey either, I just have used the Alton Brown brining method for the last 10 or so years and I really love it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I've missed your posts, Noel, but it is good to hear the feast was a success.

I brined a turkey for the first time...and while it was juicy, it was too salty! Ah well, one must experiment once in a while.

Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 Burnsite said:

I've missed your posts, Noel, but it is good to hear the feast was a success.

I brined a turkey for the first time...and while it was juicy, it was too salty! Ah well, one must experiment once in a while.

Hi Burnsite! Did you rinse the turkey well after you removed it from the brine? That should make a big difference. Also, how much salt is in your brine solution. The one I make has a lot of other ingredients and only one cup of salt. HTH! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I never heard of brining a turkey - what is that? What does that do? My hubby just grills it on our gas grill and it's moist and wonderful! But brining? Please explain, ok?

Honored Contributor

Back for a quickie, LOL! More coffee, in a diner this time Smiley Happy Love to you all! Big storm coming, will rain for five days, thank goodness, we need it! It will take awhile to get back on, they are putting in a new system, I'll hang out in a coffee shop if possible.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 NoelSeven said: Back for a quickie, LOL! More coffee, in a diner this time Smiley Happy Love to you all! Big storm coming, will rain for five days, thank goodness, we need it! It will take awhile to get back on, they are putting in a new system, I'll hang out in a coffee shop if possible.

I'm so relieved to see you posting, Noel!{#emotions_dlg.wub} Sorry to hear about the WIFI, but the rain sounds like good things to come.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Chickenbutt, I did rinse the bird thoroughly and patted it dry. And it did cook up very juicy and tender. I usually don't salt my food at all, and this seemed so salty that for me it was hard to taste the turkey flavor. The guests liked it--or at least they consumed it quickly and very little is left. So I am already making a soup, which is too salty as well, but a bit thinned out as to the saltiness.

gloriajean, The turkey sits in salt/sugar/spices and gallons of water for hours when it's brined. The solution infuses through the skin and makes the bird juicier, and that part really works. Next time (Christmas) I may try cutting the salt by half (and also the brining time by half--I left it overnight.) I used Alton Brown's recipe and it turned out well.

Noel, I hope you get your e-connection back soon!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for explaining the brine for me, Bursite! It does sound very salty - but he makes it on the gas grill so wonderfully and moist, I don't think we'll change that. It doesn't take long either. Now I've got turkey soup on the stove. Brine to me was like making pickles. That we do every year.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched a Thanksgiving dinner prep show that said brining is completely unnecessary. Had never heard of it.

Respected Contributor

The Speaker of the House has what looks like a good brining recipe that includes pure maple syrup. I need to write it down for possible use next year. Getting pure maple syrup may be a challenge-