Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I bought a friend a SS cross pendant for her birthday. I went to the Post office the other day and bought a padded envelope to mail it to her - $1.79 just for the bag. Then today I took it back to the PO with the gift in it to mail and it was an additional $2.59 so , all in all, to mail a very small item that essentially weighed nothing cost us $4.38. Sheesh, I should have just stuck the gift in a card.

@151949

I get padded envelopes at the dollar store, two for a dollar.  

Nevertheless, in the overall scheme of the universe, four bucks and change won't make or break your retirement.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that $2.59 was bad at all for shipping. You could have gotten the padded envelope definitely cheaper somewhere else so you are paying more for the convenience. There is absolutely no way you would have paid less through UPS. 

I think compared to a lot of other countries our USPS is a good deal in both price and speed.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I agree, shipping is high.

I shipped a box today to NY that weighed little-to-nothing, with additional insurance & signature confirmation cost me $27.00.

I can't use the flat-rate "large" boxes because they're too SMALL.

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I thought the envelopes and boxes at the Post Office were free?  I've never had to pay for a box, bags, etc.  They are sitting right out for the taking.

In the future, our Dollar Tree also sells padded envelopes of all sizes for mailing things. 

Once I asked for a small piece of tape because I noticed my package didn't looked sealed well enough.  The clerk's dispenser happened to be empty at that moment.  She told me she didn't have any.  I had to buy a roll!

VanSleepy....I had a similiar thing happen...only there was tape sitting right on the counter but i was told they don't let people use it...I had to buy a roll of their expensive tape....I was furious...but I had to ship the package....

Why should they tape up a package?  If they tape everyone's package for them, imagine what it would be like in both cost and backed up lines at the counter.  Your package should be ready when you get there mostly because the lines would just get longer.    AND L O N G E R!  LOL!!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Respected Contributor

All this for a $10 necklace?

Honored Contributor

??? friend = $$$. Not to me. friend = hearts & love.

Honored Contributor

Re: Postage - ridiculous !

[ Edited ]

I asked the counrter person if those padded bags were free and she said no - they are $1.79. You can pay now and I'll stamp it to show it was paid for or you can take it and that $1.79 will be added when you bring it in to mail it.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

??? friend = $$$. Not to me. friend = hearts & love.

Holy cow - read your signature - then read what you wrote here. Was that kind? It  certainly doesn't feel kind to me.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I bought a friend a SS cross pendant for her birthday. I went to the Post office the other day and bought a padded envelope to mail it to her - $1.79 just for the bag. Then today I took it back to the PO with the gift in it to mail and it was an additional $2.59 so , all in all, to mail a very small item that essentially weighed nothing cost us $4.38. Sheesh, I should have just stuck the gift in a card.

@151949

Cost of the bag aside, do you really think that $2.59 for postage is "ridiculous"?     Just what do you think is an "acceptable" postage rate?    

In the future, if you want to avoid postage costs, order gift cards online.    I just sent my sister an Ulta gift card that sent her an email card ....  and she printed it out and went to Ulta.   Viola!   No postage fees at all!