Trusted Contributor

Re: Post Office is supposed to be funded now, isn't it?

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@EatWell    I'm in the vulnerable group.  Why in the heck do you think not????

@Kachina624 

That sounds like a good reason.'

So how are you going to return your order? If the P.O. will  not pick up?

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 You can either leave it for your carrier to take or if it is a smaller package, you can put it in the metered mail box.  I've done both before and didn't have any issues.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624, do you have a post office with a self service machine in the lobby? Post office lobbies around me are open 24/7 so people can access their post office boxes.  If the package can fit the deposit box there shouldn't be a problem returning a package without being in contact with anyone.

Honored Contributor

It's bad service for a number of reasons.  First of all the post office is required to deliver to almost every address in the U.S. while FedEx and UPS and others are not.

The post office stops at EVERY mailbox six days a week while the other services do not deliver or check at every location every day.   

The volume of mail has simply increased beyond what people at USPS can deliver.  They don't have enough funding to hire as many new people as they need, and even if they did it isn't simple to deliver a mail route--no matter how easy it might seem. 

And there are lots of laws concerning USPS mail that other carriers don't have to be concerned with.  

And 55 cents or less to mail anything door to door anywhere in the U.S. is absurd in this day and age when coffee is about $3.00 in 2019.  Lots of information online about funding if you are really interested. 

But I'm talking about what the people working, the shoes on the sidewalk so to speak, have to put up with.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Linmo wrote:

@Kachina624 You can either leave it for your carrier to take or if it is a smaller package, you can put it in the metered mail box.  I've done both before and didn't have any issues.  

@Linmo 

@ Kachina624 says can not go to Post Office  because in a vulnerable  group.
A good reason to avoid going to the post office.

Respected Contributor

@EatWell There are both stamped and metered mail boxes outside most post offices that you can drive up to and drop the package in without getting out of the car.

Honored Contributor

I have had them deliver the priority boxes and flat rate boxes and envelopes because I don't have to go in and it is easy.  

They have a great selection and bring them to my door.  It is cheaper to box it up myself and trot down and stand in line, but now days I will gladly pay a little more.  I don't mail that much anyway and flat rate is a great deal.

Respected Contributor

Great service from USPS, awful service from UPS & Fed Ex...this week Fed Ex left mirrors leaning against my garage door so thank goodness I was coming home instead of leaving.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And I dropped two bills with checks in the mail last Monday morning and they still haven't shown up as being cleared when I look at my bank account on-line. Usually bills put in the mailbox (behind the post office) on a Monday morning show as cleared by Thursday......Friday at the latest. I'm worried they haven't even been received......and I'll be hit w/late fees. Or too far past the due date and my tv/internet/phone service will be shut off. The other was my supplemental health ins. payment. 

Important stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I am lucky. No problems at all. Great service at home and at the post office. I even got a package from QVC delivered that I feel is unnecessary on Sunday.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.