Honored Contributor

Re: Post Office Not Doing So Well This Year With Package Deliveries

UPS delivered a package that I ordered the day before!!!  lol....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AmericanBulldogMom: For us either. Used USPS to ship 4 boxes of Christmas gifts the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week and they had them by that Friday and Saturday.

I just received a top I bought from QVC that wasn't supposed to arrive until after Christmas. That was a nice surprise even though I didn’t need it now.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had a good experience with USPS. I also know that the few weeks before Christmas are not normal for them, so I give them a few days slack. I think anyone expecting a timely delivery of packages the week before Christmas just may be disappointed, but I've had good luck with deliveries this month.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl   Bless your mail carrier son.  I think the US postal workers are pretty wonderful all year round, all things considered.

When I was in New England we always made sure we had our sidewalk shoveled (and ice melt scattered) and a good path to the door so that we wouldn't present an obstacle to their safety.  We do the same here in DC although so far the weather snow wise hasn't been bad--yet.  

Have seen them deliver in some extraordinarily tough situations

(like right after hurricanes or tornadoes had occurred) where I am sure less dedicated folks would have said--just forget it.  They earn their pay and then some.  Glad they are finally getting new vehicles, too.

Yes, there are a few who make their co-workers look bad but for the most part I think they do an excellent job.  And I don't think 55 cents for a first class letter is in any way out of line.

All the different delivery services are pretty darn good but the USPS has the real deal when it comes to  a history of unbroken service to all parts of our nation.

Honored Contributor

I have had Target and Nordstrom send 2 day delivery and I receive in 2 days.  I live in an apt. building and I can say that the post office at least delivers to my door where Fed Ex and some Christmas help for UPS are leaving pkgs. by the door bells in an unsecure area.  Luckily, people in my building picked up the packages and brought them to me or let me know they were in our lounge.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I haven't had any problem with USPS or UPS this year.  They've delivered everything on time.  I really appreciate their long days and hard work at this crazy time of year.

Honored Contributor

I live out in the boonies. I am accustomed to my packages coming later. But, that being said, I am receiving my packages at record speed! I don't do QVC but when my pkgs say 2 day delivery, they are at my doorstep in 2 days. I have absolutely NO complaints with the P.O.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

We recently moved to southeastern NC and so far, all packages that I've sent have gotten to family/friends on time and I've received all packages from family/friends in a timely manner.  I've lived in PA, Northern VA and now southeastern NC and all deliveries have been placed near my front door, never had an issue.  All delivery people usually ring my door bell.  

Esteemed Contributor

Well, USPS indicates my item is at the distribution center in Detroit. Took from Wed to Sat to travel from Dallas to Detroit after I paid Amazon for "expedited" shipping.

Carrier came & went today, no package but USPS shows it's ontime for delivery today.

Maybe Christmas Eve.

Honored Contributor

I have one daughter in Denver and the other in Florida.  Between sending them things (you name it) and sending items BACK to QVC I go to the post office once (at least) and sometimes twice a week.  For real!

Anyway, there are way too many 'issues' to put here (and you'd be bored out of your mind).  However, sufficed to say I've pretty much covered every problem one can have sending items in the mail (and even receiving items).

Just this week I sent my daughter 3 stocking holders I'd had for years.  They were very heavy and made out of metal.  It cost me $19 to mail them.  I picked the longest delivery time out because otherwise it would have been close to $30!  Yepper, you saw right.

I wrapped those things (each) in bubble wrap and made sure they fit securely in the box.

Move ahead about a week.  She had to go to another post office to pick it up because HER mailman isn't capable of ringing the doorbell...(anyway).

She did facetime with me and low and behold all three (mind you they were metal) were broken!  

They weren't repairable.  She had to throw them away!  I can't imagine what they did with that box to break metal like that!

I was telling a friend about it and her tale was upsetting too.  She sent friends in Florida (we live in Va) some cookies and goodies (family recipe, etc), made with lots of love.

She said the Florida folks told her they went looking for the package when she called to ask if the goodies brought back memories.  They found the 2 boxes lying in a ditch way out in the front yard.  It had rained heavily and most of the box was falling apart.  

Their mailman had just thrown the 2 boxes from his truck and it must have rolled and bounced a long way because they were both totally hidden in the ditch!

Two times in the past few years I had to call the post office to come get a box out of my mailbox they'd jammed into it.

My next door neighbor said she had to do the same thing once.

I now have a huge heavy duty tupperware box at the top of my driveway (with a lid) for them to put packages in.

With Christmas and them busy (I guess) there are lots of substitute drivers.  THEY totally ignore the large sign stuck up on my garage door to put the packages in the box "TO THEIR RIGHT" and they even lay the packages right UNDER the sign....swear to you.

Anyway, I won't go into what I have to do to make sure a recipient gets a birthday gift card.  (It involves extra tracking and another envelope).  I've had so many stolen I finally learned to do it the more expensive way.

Ugh!