Honored Contributor

Re: Post Dorian and upset neighbors

Remember the childhood chant:  sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.    (Hope you can let it go, "little minds"  big mouths.  Hey, I like that.

Little minds, big mouths.  You can use it.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

We can't manage our homes and our liability based on what our neighbors will say about us.

We have to do what's right for us.  It's cheaper to pay to have the tree removed than to have to have the tree removed AND make repairs on whatever it hit (and associated increases in insurance after making a claim).

It's unfortunate that they are not sophisticated enough to see your side.  It's all about them.

While it stings, just take the high road and know that you are doing the right thing.

Something tells me that no matter what you do, these people will never be happy with your choice, so turn a deaf ear to them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

every time there is a storm giant trees fall

people need to take care of their property not to wait till nature does.

OP is doing nothing wrong 

Valued Contributor

@Kimnola 

i've been up for way over 24 hours, so i may not understand.

am i understanding you correctly.
you have a tree on YOUR property, that YOU are paying for, to have cut down and people that DO NOT live on your property have something to say about it. that's really special.

if these people are not paying your bills, they are a non (bad word, bad word) factor in your life.

while maybe easier said then done, you should not give them or whatever they say a second thought. they are nobodies, thinking that will be somebody, some day. if they had a life with value and purpose, they would not have time to be butting into your business.

sadly, there seems to be a growing segment of the population, that is apparently eating dog food. i say that because many are constantly barking about something, that is none of their business.

if someone says something to you, ask them, how much are they willing to pay you in cash, to not cut the tree down. take the cash, then cut the tree down anyway.

you and your husband are doing just fine without them. keep it that way. go on about your life and stop talking to them. have a cookout and don't invite any of them. LOL they will get the message. i guess the good thing is that you now see them for who they really are.

i am sorry that this happened to you. based on your post, you are much nicer then i would be, should someone be so stupid as to say something to me about anything on my property. i've found that sometimes when people think you are completely nuts, they will leave you alone. for example, should they come onto your property, run away yelling help and screaming that someone is trying to kill you. yeah, i did that one time when this woman came onto my property to ask me what i was doing. it worked. chick hasn't crossed the street since. i ran to the front steps of my house, sat down and started laughing loud.

Honored Contributor

@Kimnola ...........Your using such small print I can barely read your post.  Would it be possible for you to enlarge your font?

From what I did read, its my understanding that this neighbor did not talk to you directly but to another neighbor.  If that is the case and if I were in your position I would talk to the neighbor myself.  Tell her why you are cutting the tree(s).  Secondhand talk is not always reliable.  You could start out with something like.............since there has been a lot of speculation about our tree I wanted you to know 1st hand whats happening.

As I said if I am way off base by not being able to read your post correctly, just ignore this and I wish you luck.  Sorry it happened.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

These border wars are so silly. Do what needs to be done on your property.

Honored Contributor

We just had our neighbors tree timmed. It was hanging over our garage and driveway..We paid for it. That is how it works here

Respected Contributor

My philosophy is simple, "put your money where your mouth is".

Unless people have skin in the game they get no say in the discussion.

For your neighbors worried about the tree trimming give them the option to pay to have the entire tree trimmed and balanced by a professional by a certain date.  It not, they made their wishes clear and can not complain.

For the neighborhood explain what you explained here via your HOA or community bulletin.  If they wish to keep the tree, they can contribute their share of the $5000 to keep set aside to pay the deductible for the day if and when it falls. Again PAY UP OR SHUT UP.

It is always amazing how little people have to complain about when they are given an option with a price attached.

Respected Contributor

@Kimnola I am a tree hugger and it pains me to see healthy trees removed or trimmed so drastically it ruins their appearance.    But I do understand people have to take action to preserve and protect their homes.  

I myself had to drastically trim a maple I foolishly planted too close to my own home.  Roots of large trees can do major damage to driveways and foundations.  It can be very costly to maintain and properly control growth of large trees to keep them healthy and minimize structural damage.

Depending on where you read the water oak tree may be close to its lifespan if it is 50.

Yes your neighbors will miss seeing it, but they will get accustomed to it being gone and the brouhaha will pass.

If it was in a visual focal point, perhaps as a peace offering you can replace it with a slow growing vibrant ornamental.

Honored Contributor

@Kimnola 

It never ceases to amaze me how people try to contol, manipulate, and guilt others for something that is none of their business.

If anybody complained to me I would simply say "How does this affect you"?

And if it's a matter of somebody asking "why" I simply smile and don't answer.

If they continue with "I've asked you twice now"  I just reply "And twice I didn't answer you".

Just remember-when somebody tries to drag you down that person is already beneath you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh