Honored Contributor

Re: Post Dorian and upset neighbors

If Maple Tree owners had your Oak tree hanging over into their yard would they be as upset about pruning your tree? 

Honored Contributor

I can only add that I hope you obtain an EXTREMELY reputable and knowledgeable tree company, and not just one that is taking the job for the lowest cost.

Tree companies run the gamut of knowledge, as you likely already know, and if you get one that just "cuts and runs," and doesn't take the health and future growth of the tree into consideration, then maybe the neighbors do have a valid complaint.

None of this is to say that you are doing anything outside your right to do it, but I find it's important to balance future potential property damage with future health of a mature tree. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi , good grief, what an awful thing!  Very small of him.  Sadly, You will probably have an enemy for life since he can’t admit that it is his fault.  🙄. LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity , we have that attitude also and just came through Dorian.  We help each other, check on each other.  We have a generator, one neighbour doesn’t.  We ran a hose to their property to share running water while power was off,  They helped fix an issue with the generator.  We are blessed with good neighbours.  So thankful.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Desertdi , good grief, what an awful thing!  Very small of him.  Sadly, You will probably have an enemy for life since he can’t admit that it is his fault.  🙄. LM

@Lilysmom    Yeah........a young (thirty-something) guy, to boot.   No wonder he's single.........(!!)  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

The owners of the Maple tree have a point, their side might become unbalanced and that's why they should have the same arborist (I think that's what they call them) inspect and trim their side of the tree.  You are not doing anything wrong, you are being responsible.  As for the neighbors, they are entitled to their opinion.  Let them grumble, they'll get over it.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Not sure how the assessment of 'jealousy' on the part of the former friend figures in... Otherwise, the OP is within her rights. With respect to the tree on a neighbors property, I'd hope they were advised in advance and given the opportunity to address the matter themselves... If they weren't they probably should have been. If they were and didn't choose to address the situation then that's on them. The tree work aside, if a number of the neigbors seem to be put out at some level with the OP then there's more going on than we can know.

@stevieb My assessment was only based on the fact that the neighbor stated "that is so typical of her" nothing else.