Respected Contributor

Re: 'Post-Antibiotic' Era a Deadlier Threat Than AIDS: WHO Drug resistance already present all over the world: report

On 4/30/2014 puglet1 said:
On 4/30/2014 Lion said:

Unfortunately, I had the opposite problem last year. I did have an infection and my dentist wouldn't prescribe an antibiotic until it was so bad that I was in excruciating pain.

I asked her twice about needing an antibiotic and her response was along the lines of this article - not wanting to give antibiotics so freely.

But, I was a patient who *did* need it.

Lion, there is a way around this. A dentist can create an antibiotic pack to physically place right next to the tooth, kind of bandaging around the tooth or area that is infected. In this way, the antibiotic is locally absorbed as opposed to taking the antibiotic orally.

Thanks, puglet. That's very good to know.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

Re: 'Post-Antibiotic' Era a Deadlier Threat Than AIDS: WHO Drug resistance already present all over the world: report

Many experts in the field of infectious diseases will tell you that what will eventually take out the human race globally will be microscopic organisms. They have the ability to change themselves to resist whatever is attacking them - humans (mammals in general) do not. Everything has an era on this earth. Just as the dinosaurs ruled the earth but where wiped out so will the age of humans ruling the earth, sooner or later.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

It really doesn't matter when YOU personally took antibiotics. The point is enough people world wide have taken them and they have been added to food to such a point that bacteria have become resistant to them creating super bugs. I always thought it only mattered how much I personally had taken antibiotics but my infectious disease doctor set me straight. Even if I never took antibiotics the bacteria itself has become stronger and more immune to antibiotics because of the overall use.

It actually matters very much when every individual takes antibiotics because collectively, people are creating an environment for resistant bacteria to form. To explain further for anyone who doesn't understand, the more instances where bacteria are exposed to an antibiotic, anytime, anywhere (that is, the more individuals taking antibiotics), the more likely the bacteria's DNA will be altered to become resistant to the antibiotic. It is a survival mechanism for the bacteria. If we create a hostile environment for bacteria BY TAKING antibiotics, they will morph, and already have morphed, into antibiotic-resistant strains. It is these strains that are killing people.

Twenty years ago, I was within minutes of death with a toxic megacolon, just from taking an antibiotic. The resistant bacteria overran my gut, multiplied, and set up an out of control infection. I had to have one foot of my colon removed for nothing. The ONLY reason I lived through this is because I was in excellent physical condition at the time.

It is the indiscriminate use of antibiotics that will cause more and more people to succumb to this sort of thing. I really don't know if most people just don't understand the concept or they do, but decide to shrug their shoulders and think it won't happen to them. It is a very serious problem. First, people need to stop asking for antibiotics and second, doctors need to stop prescribing. I am baffled by this non-compliance.

I have had 85% of my colon taken out. I hadn't taken an antibiotic in about 15 yrs prior to that. I do agree collectively that over taking antibiotics are bad but you can get (and MANY PEOPLE HAVE) a superbug even if you have never taken an antibiotic. People have had limbs cut off because of superbugs and these were young healthy people who have never taken an antibiotic or been sick. They got a superbug like MRSA and they had no choice. What I am saying is that those superbugs are already out there and even healthy people who haven't had to take antibiotics for anything are no match for a superbug regardless or not if they have a long history of taking antibiotics.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

On 4/30/2014 happy housewife said:

Many experts in the field of infectious diseases will tell you that what will eventually take out the human race globally will be microscopic organisms. They have the ability to change themselves to resist whatever is attacking them - humans (mammals in general) do not. Everything has an era on this earth. Just as the dinosaurs ruled the earth but where wiped out so will the age of humans ruling the earth, sooner or later.

Dino was wiped out by an asteroid or comet... watch out! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Super Contributor

Irshgrl, thanks for the clarification and I agree with you.

Lion, you're very welcome.

Esteemed Contributor

Irshgrl, thanks for the clarification and I agree with you.

Lion, you're very welcome.

No problem. Unfortunately I have had a lot of experience with superbugs because of my illness. I have seen about 5 different infectious disease doctors in the last 7 yrs.

One important thing we call all do is take good probiotics when you are healthy and when you are on antibiotics. It promotes good bacteria which is important. 70% of our bodys immune system is located in the digestive tract so it is important to flood it with good bacteria. That has helped me more than anything.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

The fact of the matter is, millions of people across the globe have surgery every day, including elective surgery; not only in hospitals but in outpatient clinics and surgical centers. I have not read or heard of mass casualties yet from infection but trust that the OP will inform me and others when it happens.

Regular Contributor

I don't think the OP wrote the article.

Respected Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Silver Lotus said:

I don't think the OP wrote the article.

No, of course not.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/30/2014 ILikeShade said:

The fact of the matter is, millions of people across the globe have surgery every day, including elective surgery; not only in hospitals but in outpatient clinics and surgical centers. I have not read or heard of mass casualties yet from infection but trust that the OP will inform me and others when it happens.

Actually in the US about 100,000 people a year die from infections they got while in the hospital after surgery. These are people who were healthy and otherwise wouldn't have been operated on.

JFK