Honored Contributor

Re: 'Post-Antibiotic' Era a Deadlier Threat Than AIDS: WHO Drug resistance already present all over the world: report

On 4/30/2014 Emma bunting said:

It needs to stop with doctors. They have to stop prescribing useless antibiotics for viral infections just because of pressure from their patients.

Doctors are only HALF the problem ...... people need to exercise common sense and not ask for antibiotics for every hangnail or cold.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Post-Antibiotic' Era a Deadlier Threat Than AIDS: WHO Drug resistance already present all over the world: report

It really doesn't matter when YOU personally took antibiotics. The point is enough people world wide have taken them and they have been added to food to such a point that bacteria have become resistant to them creating super bugs. I always thought it only mattered how much I personally had taken antibiotics but my infectious disease doctor set me straight. Even if I never took antibiotics the bacteria itself has become stronger and more immune to antibiotics because of the overall use.

Here is an example in how much has changed in our food. Cows used to eat grass and grass was very good at eliminating ecoli. Our cows now mainly eat corn so we inject our cattle with antibiotics to avoid ecoli. If we put some grass back into their diet we could avoid the overuse of antibiotics when nature provided it in the grass they used to eat.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, I had the opposite problem last year. I did have an infection and my dentist wouldn't prescribe an antibiotic until it was so bad that I was in excruciating pain.

I asked her twice about needing an antibiotic and her response was along the lines of this article - not wanting to give antibiotics so freely.

But, I was a patient who *did* need it.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

It really doesn't matter when YOU personally took antibiotics. The point is enough people world wide have taken them and they have been added to food to such a point that bacteria have become resistant to them creating super bugs. I always thought it only mattered how much I personally had taken antibiotics but my infectious disease doctor set me straight. Even if I never took antibiotics the bacteria itself has become stronger and more immune to antibiotics because of the overall use.

Here is an example in how much has changed in our food. Cows used to eat grass and grass was very good at eliminating ecoli. Our cows now mainly eat corn so we inject our cattle with antibiotics to avoid ecoli. If we put some grass back into their diet we could avoid the overuse of antibiotics when nature provided it in the grass they used to eat.

You can still buy grass fed beef. And it does matter to YOU personally because if you take precautions through smart diet choices you can keep from getting sick. I am always amazed at people who think they eat ""healthy"". And they are eating things made with corn and sugar by products. They are eating sweetners in their coffee or tea. They do not read labels and eat dairy products that have ""natural"" flavors in them as well as sugar. So if you take the time to read packages and research what is in the ingredients you can make better choices and at least help yourself to stay healthy.

Honored Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Lion said:

Unfortunately, I had the opposite problem last year. I did have an infection and my dentist wouldn't prescribe an antibiotic until it was so bad that I was in excruciating pain.

I asked her twice about needing an antibiotic and her response was along the lines of this article - not wanting to give antibiotics so freely.

But, I was a patient who *did* need it.

Ugh. I'd be looking for a new dentist.
Respected Contributor

Put it this way sprinkling Tumeric on to your food and watching your dairy intake goes along way to stave off inflamation which can cause a heck of a lot of problems.

Honored Contributor

Which is why I only eat grass fed beef. And free range chicken.

Some doctors would disagree that it doesn't really matter how many antibiotics we personally have taken.

Both issues are the issue.

Honored Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Caravaggio said:

Put it this way sprinkling Tumeric on to your food and watching your dairy intake goes along way to stave off inflamation which can cause a heck of a lot of problems.

My doc took me off dairy and told me to add turmeric daily to my smoothie.

I haven't had so much as a sniffle since.

Regular Contributor

Exactly. It has gotten to the point that it really doesn't matter what we do personally. The antibiotic resistant strains are already out there and if we have the unfortunate luck to become infected by one there is no antibiotic that will touch the infection. That is the point of this article. A simple infection could become the death of any one of us NOW, not in some distant future. The horse is OUT of the barn already so to shut the barn door now is futile.

Respected Contributor

On 4/30/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 4/30/2014 Caravaggio said:

My doc took me off dairy and told me to add turmeric daily to my smoothie.

I haven't had so much as a sniffle since.