Respected Contributor

Re: Possibly moving to Tampa. Need info please.

@FiddleDeeDee 

OK, start then with the Tampa Chamber of Commerce and or the Board of Realtors and ask which locations or townships you should start your search at.  You will probably start out with a few and then narrow down your actual search time.  If you get input from those who are knowledgeable about the area, then overlay that input or use it to further question realtors.

As for school districts, check with google for rankings of the districts.

As for 45-minute commutes, I have been stuck in Friday traffic during the snowbird season.   Too, there may be heavy traffic near major attractions all year long.

Some folks prefer to rent before buying a home.  My Naples neighbors from Chicago did that and were glad they did.  We also did that ( vacationing ) before we found a great snowbird condo.

Good luck with your search and congrats to DH !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Last spring we went down to Florida for Spring Training. We spent alot of time in Dunedin, really enjoyed it.

Talked to lots of people. And met numerous transplants from our area (Philadelphia) all of them said they love it and would never move from Florida.

In fact a good friend just had a house built in Florida. He is still working in New Jersey but can't wait to move to Florida. That is why he had the house built.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

From?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  This may seem like a no brainer, but you also have to consider areas that are within your price range. I don't know anything about the price of housing in the Tampa area, but you can probably google it to get an idea before you approach realtors. If this is going to be a long-term relocation, it may be worth it to rent a house for a year until you get a feel for the area. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in the suburbs of Tampa area -- Pasco County.  There are so many gated communities with schools being built here.  Anywhere on 54 you look there are new homes, shopping and schools being built.  

There are  high schools in our area - JW Mitchell is the one I'm familiar with and Suncoast High School.  The one I love is Starkey Ranch Development. 

Also, Wesley Chapel is another town which is "suburb" but lots of new homes, and Ice Hockey Rink!  We frequent this area often as they have great shopping -- drawback lots of traffic.

I assume if you move outside of Tampa (which encompasses a large area) you can check out Pinellas, Pasco, Hillsborough Counties.   

I live exactly 37 minutes from downtown Tampa and 33 minutes to Tampa airport.  The interstate 589 (Suncoast) is sometimes a mess with morning and evening traffic as most major highways-

I don't know what is further south (only I go to Tampa General for my doctors) although many of my good friends have relocated to Beach areas but they are retired.  Although, Davis Island area is beautiful!  

Good luck if you move & I assume he'll be happy looking at the beautiful Tampa Bay everyday - ... get ready for HOT HOT HOT weather not sure where you're relocating from !!!  

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 THank You for that feedback! That's exactly what I was looking for.  

We've drawn an area with boarders that we'll focus within but even then, we want to narrow it down even more. If someone asked me about XYZ area, I would tell them the counties around it, the commute issue, the areas to avoid due to crime/drugs and low ranking schools. Areas can be pretty on the outside but ugly on the inside and we don't want to find that out after we've moved in.

We're in Washington DC (just over the MD line) so heat and high humidity is the norm. Not thrilled about moving to Florida (sorry) but when you're unemployed, you take what you can get.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Contributor

As a former Floridian of 40 years, check out Wesley Chapel.  Young community, up and coming.  Traffic on 75 can be a nightmare, especially during season (snowbirds!).  But it beats the beach scene traffic. I have lived in So Fla, Central Fla & West Coast Fl.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@homedecor1 THank You for that feedback! That's exactly what I was looking for.  

We've drawn an area with boarders that we'll focus within but even then, we want to narrow it down even more. If someone asked me about XYZ area, I would tell them the counties around it, the commute issue, the areas to avoid due to crime/drugs and low ranking schools. Areas can be pretty on the outside but ugly on the inside and we don't want to find that out after we've moved in.

We're in Washington DC (just over the MD line) so heat and high humidity is the norm. Not thrilled about moving to Florida (sorry) but when you're unemployed, you take what you can get.

@FiddleDeeDee  I sense frustration that you don't seem to be getting the answers you're seeking. But to be honest, what I've highlighted is something that a realtor in the area is best suited to help you with. It's their job! 

You may also want to take a look at northern/northwest Manatee County. It's one county south of Hillsborough. The southern end of the Sunshine Skyway is in Manatee County. I have a beach place on Anna Maria island (northwest Manatee county) and I can usually make it from there to the hockey rink in downtown Tampa or TPA in right around an hour. And that's having to take a busy local street in several miles to pick up the highway. Lakewood Ranch is a huge, lovely community and it's inland. It may be farther than your desired commute, but take a quick peek before ruling it out. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee 

The Trinity, New Port Richey, Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel area has multitudes of new developments along 54.

A easy drive to Suncoast (589) to Tampa.  As I said, the Trinity area has the most beautiful development called "Starkey Ranch".  I keep saying I'm moving there, but, spouse says No golf course NO move🙄☹️.

The homes are beautiful but not much land between.  They have all different styles and sizes. 

Also, several developers.

Here are the developments:

Ballantree (older dev)

Aristida

Lake Ranch

mitchell ranch

Trinity Preserve

Copperfield 

and a few more 

I like the Carrollwood area also since it's closer to mall, shopping centers, hospitals, and closer to airport area.

Of course you're right -- about crime, etc. best to ask if possible when buying the neighbors who live there.

As for me I hate it here I came after years of relentless moaning from spouse who was retired.  I left everyone behind my friends & family for "paradise" (all his buddies live in this country club when we came here).  Still searching for it😉!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you need to decide 'what you want' as far as house type, school needs and commute time.  Believe me, you can find it in the Tampa Bay Area.  

Traffic is always a problem but the news keeps you informed about detours to take if there is a big problem.

Homes are plentiful here.  Any type home you wish for!  Just tell a Realtor what YOU want in a home.  They can find it!

You will enjoy this area.  Lots of entertainment from auto racing, dirt track to Opera!  And don't forget, you will be less than an hour to beautiful beaches and only 1-1/2 hour from the Orlando-Disney area!  Shopping is at it's finest and restaurants to die for!

Enjoy Florida!  It is a marvelous place to live!