Trusted Contributor

Possibly moving to Tampa. Need info please.

[ Edited ]

DH has been offered a position in Tampa. We know NOTHING about the area or Florida in general. Not interested in living on the water at all. Looking for excellent high school, good/safe community. He's willing to travel 45 minutes each way from home to work (office is on the bay in Tampa, near the airport).

ANY advice/info would be GREAT. Thank you!!!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: Possibly moving to Tampa. Need info please.

It is beautiful and there is tons to do there. Definitely move! Tampa Bay is gorgeous to take a ride around.
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

call realtors in the area....they are a wealth of knowledge.  I would definitely call and compare notes from several realtors.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

St. Pete to live in, Tampa for work.  My friends live in St.Pete, they love it.

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz I would if I knew which area we were interested in. That's why I'm asking, lol. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Has he checked with his employer.  Often times, when an employee is offered a relocation position, the employer will get together a package of information about the new area.  As an alternative you can get in touch with the Tampa Chamber of Commerce.  They'll be more than happy to flood you with information about the Tampa area that meets your needs(e.g. schools, etc.); just tell them your interests.

Super Contributor

Hi. Citrus Park and Westchase communities are nice and not too far from airport area. The area and highways around airport are very congested and commutes to work can take forever especially during tourist season, and rush hours. I live near Clearwater , on the other side of the Bay. Also, especially if you are buying a house or have pets, try to find a place that is not in a hurricane evacuation zone. Even though you are not near the ocean , there are low lying areas that have to evacuate. There are a lot of highways and the interstate cross by the airport as well, so if you look at map of Tampa and highways, you can see what commute will look like. I had a 45 minute commute each way for 25 years, just 21 miles from home, and it gets to you after a while.  HTH a little,Susi.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

DH has been offered a position in Tampa. We know NOTHING about the area or Florida in general. Not interested in living on the water at all. Looking for excellent high school, good/safe community. He's willing to travel 45 minutes each way from home to work (office is on the bay in Tampa, near the airport).

ANY advice/info would be GREAT. Thank you!!!

Land O'Lakes and Wesley Chapel are on the northside of Tampa, have a lot of stores and restaurants. Many subdivisions to choose from. Close to I75 and Suncoast Parkway (is a toll road but goes right by airport). Can be very congested, though. 

There's Brandon and Riverview on the southside of Tampa. Again, lots of stores and restaurants but can be congested on I75. 

A knowledgeable realtor should be able to tell you about the different areas in the Tampa area. You should visit the different areas to help get a feel for it. You can get a lot of information from the Hillsborough County Chambef of Commerce along with Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce. It's probably available online. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@Susic DH has had a regular commute of 1-2 hours each way for decades; 45 minutes is a dream, lol. 

We do NOT want to be on the water. We do NOT want to be in flood areas. We'd rather go up into the non-water/beach areas 30-45 minutes away from Davis Beach ('where the office located). If you can give me ANY direction of that area is (county, towns, anything), I would greatly appreciate it. 

We would have to relocate by the time school starts so the search is an important one. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Well, Ben Davis Beach is right near Courtney Campbell Causeway which is maybe a 10 minute drive to Pinellas County. Clearwater is at end of Causeway and St. Pete maybe a half hour south from Clearwater. Lots of water and low lying areas. But some higher areas. Since he doesn't mind a commute, as someone else said ,Wesley Chapel is about the newest community. Lots of new housing and great shopping.  I would think good schools. I googled map and it said it is 30 miles from Davis Beach and takes 35 minutes on I-275.   Plus time to wherever you live. Looks like it may be good area ,not near water in hurricane. Wesley Chapel is bustling, yet Seems almost like being out in the country in a way. Pinellas County, and airport area are very congested.