Respected Contributor

Possible new employees can't pass a

The owner of a company that has large, heavy equipment can't find enough drug-free employees to hire.  She said that many of their applicants did not pass a drug-free test.

Honored Contributor

Re: Possible new employees can't pass a

This is a common dilemma among employers in my town.

Honored Contributor

There's a long, long thread on this...

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

The owner of a company that has large, heavy equipment can't find enough drug-free employees to hire.  She said that many of their applicants did not pass a drug-free test.

@Big Sister  That's nothing new.  This has been a problem for years and will only get worse as states legalize marijuana.  The question becomes, do you eliminate someone for using a substance that's legal?  You don't with alcohol.  Why should you for marijuana? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I live in southern WV, and the last 3 fast food restaurants that opened in town, took longer to open, due to not being able to find employees who could pass the drug test.   

My trucker daughter is tested twice a year; teacher daughter is tested yearly.   

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Alcohol is quickly metabolized and cannabis is not.  According to Federal DOT guidelines,It is not legal to drive a Class A vehicle 8 hours post ingestion of alcohol. Cannabis stays in your system for weeks.

I cant wait to see what the insurance companies are going to do with the legalization.  They are already sounding the alarms in Colorado. There has been a rapid rise in accidents related to cannabis ingestion.  Premiums rising, refusal to cover, requiring drug tests?

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

@Big Sister  That's nothing new.  This has been a problem for years and will only get worse as states legalize marijuana.  The question becomes, do you eliminate someone for using a substance that's legal?  You don't with alcohol.  Why should you for marijuana? 

My son was telling me that a colleague was showing up smelling of alcohol several times a week.  He was fired.  I think any employer should be able to fire any employee whose functions can be impaired with legal and/or illegal substances.

Honored Contributor

Well, unfortunately with alcohol, it can become a huge factor in dismissing someone from their job.  There were actually two people where I used to work that were fired because they came to work drunk.  It started out as innocent social drinking (even at work functions), then they (independant of each other) drank more and more and eventually were drunk from the time they arrived each morning.  I know for a fact that my boss tried to help each of them personally for quite some time (they worked for him), and his intervention didn't help.

Should they have been hired in the first place had they been tested? (there was no test at the time). Honestly,  I don't know but I can attest to the lost man hours, the waste of productive time and the dropped projects because of these two, and my boss gave them a lot of time to try and recover before he let them go.

While smoking pot and drinking alcohol are different and I realize/respect and understand that...  but even casually, either can ultimately affect the workload by placing an unfair workload on the other employees when/if it gets out of hand, as well as being a possible danger to himself (driving heavy equipment) or to others.  

If I were the owner and responsible for the company, I sure would like a heads up prior to hiring.  If the test came back positive, I'd question the applicant about it, etc.  Casual use only?  Maybe.  This would be in no way a judgment call, but a business call.  JMHO

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

My employer will eliminate you for alcohol as well as legal or illegal drugs.

Depends on the drug, how much is in your system and if you have a script for it.

I passed the pre-employment and we get tested regularly.   I have to blow into a breathalyzer and pee in a cup.  If anything comes back positive more testing is done.

Honored Contributor

Move the company...     Substance abuse is a problem everywhere but no where near that level.