Valued Contributor

Re: Possible new employees can't pass a

Marijuana is still NOT legal at the federal level and AG Sessions isn't a big fan of those states who have legalized or decriminalized it.

Honored Contributor

I don't think marijuana being legalized makes any difference to passing a drug test or not.  Alcohol is legal but you can't show up to work half in the bag just like you cannot show up to work high and if you are subject to testing, it's going to be a problem.   

Trusted Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

Now that "fake urine" can be purchased in stores, I wonder how any pre-employment drug test will be helpful in determining who's on drugs, or not!

Unless they figure out a way of keeping it "warm" when it is handed back to the attendant, I don't think it will be a problem.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

The owner of a company that has large, heavy equipment can't find enough drug-free employees to hire.  She said that many of their applicants did not pass a drug-free test.

@Big Sister  That's nothing new.  This has been a problem for years and will only get worse as states legalize marijuana.  The question becomes, do you eliminate someone for using a substance that's legal?  You don't with alcohol.  Why should you for marijuana? 

Why?  You can consume alcohol without being anywhere near inebriated.  The whole point of pot is to get high.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

Very interesting thread.  I will pose a question, "how many individuals that do not believe that ingesting cannabis and working are mutually exclusive, would have a surgeon operate on you while having smoked an hour before surgery to calm her nerves?  How about four hours?  How about the night before? "