Honored Contributor

Possble evidence of 14 y.o. boaters found in my area

I live on a barrier island off the coast of Savannah, GA. Story here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3186377/Life-jackets-Georgia-coast-belong-teen-Florida-fishe...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Possble evidence of 14 y.o. boaters found in my area

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I live on a barrier island off the coast of Savannah, GA. Story here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3186377/Life-jackets-Georgia-coast-belong-teen-Florida-fishe...

You are a very lucky person to live in such a beautiful area.

Respected Contributor

Pit of the stomach wow

Esteemed Contributor

I had not realized that the boat was found so far away from the inlet that they were seen in.

Honored Contributor

Gosh, those could belong to anyone and have been lost at any time.

Good tip, though, to put identifying info on those vests. Like name info you sew into garments for kids going off to camp.

Regular Contributor

I.G.

Thanks for the link.  Prayers for the family since I had hoped those jackets were on the boys (if they were indeed their jackets).   So sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the link. This is the first time I've actually seen photos of these boys. Does anybody seriously think these 2 look old enough or "mature" enough to be on a boat by themselves?!? Seriously??

Perry CohenAustin Stephanos

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Betteb, I don't know if the photos you placed are recent ones or not. I have a son wh9 jyst turned 15 and those boys look just like my 9 year old and his buddies. If 14, they are some young looking and small 14 year olds.

Breaks my heart that they are gone.

Esteemed Contributor

@betteb wrote:

Thanks for the link. This is the first time I've actually seen photos of these boys. Does anybody seriously think these 2 look old enough or "mature" enough to be on a boat by themselves?!? Seriously??

Betteb, I don't want to change the direction of this thread but did want to respond to your question.  I would say that for the average 14-year-old the answer would be no but for these kids they grew up on the water and were very experienced; likely experienced to the point that they were over confident.

It is much like a kid that grows up on a working farm.  A 14-year-old that grew up with the machinery would likely have the experience and ability to operate a tractor whereas the average 14-year-old would not.

As for the question of maturity even adults get over confident and don't think things out before doing something.  Boaters lost or in jeopardy off the coast of Florida enroute to the Bahamas is not a rare occurrence.  The boys were foolish to attempt it because they clearly did not take conditions and the gulf stream into account.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@betteb wrote:

Perry CohenAustin Stephanos

@betteb

Those are youngerpics of them, here's a more current pic:

The parents of Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen boys may have made floating devices from items missing from their fishing boat, found overturned on Sunday. NFL legend Joe Namath - a friend of Perry's family -offered a $100,000 reward for their safe return

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.