Respected Contributor

Re: Positive side to this weather

I think those early people gathered closely around the fireplace in the evenings. Houses probably were drafty. Must have buried themselves in blankets to sleep. Get up n the night to keep wood stove going.  It’s interesting to think about how people survived severe weather before modern heating.    I always wonder how animals both domestic and wild survive the cold. A heavy winter coat wouldn’t seem enough.

-14 in rural Maine last night. Nighttime temps will “warm up” now, last night was the lowest. Hope winter weather normalizes for everyone affected. 

Honored Contributor

A good side to this extended deep freeze is that it may kill invasive insects that would survive milder winters.  It's good news for gardeners and, I suppose, farmers.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I haven't had a mosquito bite in ages.

@151949

And the no-see-ums stopped biting me! But I sure got cold last time I was outside talking to a neighbor right where the no-see-ums usually get me!

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

I think those early people gathered closely around the fireplace in the evenings. Houses probably were drafty. Must have buried themselves in blankets to sleep. Get up n the night to keep wood stove going.  It’s interesting to think about how people survived severe weather before modern heating.    I always wonder how animals both domestic and wild survive the cold. A heavy winter coat wouldn’t seem enough.

-14 in rural Maine last night. Nighttime temps will “warm up” now, last night was the lowest. Hope winter weather normalizes for everyone affected. 

If you have chickens you have to warm the coop - usually done with light bulbs - or chickens will freeze to death. In the barn , usually just putting a lot of hay in the stalls so they can snuggle down in it and get out of the draft works pretty well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don’t get bit this bad boy in the snow.

(Large steel sculpture in Russia)

028DEB20-E761-422B-BFF2-603F51BE0DD1.jpeg

Contributor

There will be a lot of babies born 9 months from now.  

Honored Contributor

@Jazzygurl wrote:

At one time that was true, but not anymore.  Everyone is on their cell phone instead of cuddling up to keep warm. The best birth control ever.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jazzygurl wrote:

My son is a Blizzard of '78 baby!!   Rest assured it's impossible that would happen now!! lol.....

Honored Contributor

We don't have mosquitos where I live in the middle of winter, so there's no positive side to the -7 degree temperature that I woke up to this morning.  There's absolutely no plus side to this arctic blast that has been going on for too long now.  

Respected Contributor

Comparing this frigid weather to a mosquito bite is ridiculous