Trusted Contributor

Re: Portable microwave or something to heat or cook food in hotel room

My husband spent 6 months in a hotel which attending school.  He used a portable burner to cook food in the room.  

When our family has stayed in hotel rooms we also have brought a crock-pot.  I know many others who bring waffle makers, portable blenders etc.

Respected Contributor

I would never cook in a hotel lobby microwave before or after this started.

Respected Contributor

@lovescats    Well I guess that you never eat food cooked in a restaurant kitchen. What I am amazed about this whole discussion is that people seem to have no consideration for those who do not want to smell food odors form the room next to them. I think there is a reason why a lot of hotels do not have microwaves in the rooms.  My only concern is that the OP ask if the hotel allows this. If she does not get permisson and God forbid somthing catches on fire she will be in a heap of trouble. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC's own website offers several  portable  double-burner electric cooktops, which come in all price ranges from under $50 to almost $200 at many different stores.

Also check websites of amazon, Walmart and Target, among others.

Personally, I'd take my own portable induction burner and induction-ready cookware, which seem a little safer than a cooktop with electric coils or any other surface that can cause a fire.

However, eating self-cooked meals in a hotel room doesn't really appeal to me.  Would rather make my choices based on what the hotel kitchen has to offer, or at least order something for delivery.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@lovescats    Well I guess that you never eat food cooked in a restaurant kitchen. What I am amazed about this whole discussion is that people seem to have no consideration for those who do not want to smell food odors form the room next to them. I think there is a reason why a lot of hotels do not have microwaves in the rooms.  My only concern is that the OP ask if the hotel allows this. If she does not get permisson and God forbid somthing catches on fire she will be in a heap of trouble. 

I hope that a restaurant kitchen would have better food safety  protocols that a hotel lobby where anyone could use the microwave.

Hotels want you to use room service instead of microwaves.

she sounds like a reasonable person to me who would take care to turn anything off

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suppose you should check with the hotel before doing room cooking in or on any  appliance.

The hotel wiring might not be able to handle it, or it might violate the local fire code or the hotel's insurance policy.

But come to think of it, hotel rooms don't have powerful exhaust systems.  Staying in a room with cooking odors....might be awful.