Esteemed Contributor

Portable microwave or something to heat or cook food in hotel room

Sorry for the long title.  

I  am about to attend a square dance convention in VA outside of DC.  We will be offered boxed meals for our five day stay.  A fridge is provided.    I want to have more control over what I eat for  myself and my hubby.  I want to be able to bring from home the food we are comfortable with eating.  There is no option to rent or request a microwave.

Is there a product out there that heats up or even cooks food that I can purchase and bring with me? I have searched Amazon and QVC. But it is so easy to BUY WITHOUT REAL INFORMATION.  I am hoping some of you are travelers, campers, backpackers who might know of a product.  We will be driving and will have room in our car to carry it but don't want heavy, large and really expensive.  Something compact that works. 

Thanks in advance.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Portable microwave or something to heat or cook food in hotel room

I've seen very small microwaves at Walmart and Target.  How about an electric fry pan?  You can cook anything in them, even bake a cake.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Air Fryer?  Small slow cooker?  Rice cooker?  3 qt Instant Pot? 

Respected Contributor

I have a 2 quart pressure cooker with a brown and slow cook option. I’d take that.
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu You mentioned a fridge is provided. My experience with hotel fridge sizes is something like a bar or dorm room fridge. I would not count on a lot of cold storage space.

There are some very small microwaves that are lightweight that are relatively inexpensive. With that you could have tea or coffee in the mornings. Maybe even some hot breakfast cereal.

If the boxed meals are included in the price of your stay, pick them up. There should be some fruit or something you would enjoy.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu 

how long have you been square dancing?   I like to watch when the local station shows the dancing from the state farm show.

Do you all make your own outfits?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

Would one of those Crock Pot Lunch Crock Food Warmers $24.99 on Amazon work?

Amazon also has an Electric Lunch Box food warmer $18? They have different ones at different prices.

electric lunch box71z9tJhm+hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Outfits are not worn as much anymore.  Three closets full.  But yes there were once farm shows and now because of Covid they have been in cancelled.  We used to do one in PA near the MD border.  

Trusted Contributor

Without knowing what type of food you will wa t to cook or heat, it is hard to suggest something specific, but a toaster oven might work. They can bake, toast, broil, etc. they come in various sizes and prices. DD has one she uses all the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

Square dancing since 1997.  On and off the raise four daughters.  But still going strong and believe me it has been a real gift.  Friendship Set to Music.  Lots of really nice people.  I live in Maryland and where we live we can easily reach four states.