Super Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

I think I watched every single minute and recorded lots of it.  I could have done without Aretha Franklin and according to the remarks on Utube, I'm not the only one.  IMO, she was absolutely awful.  They all said they couldn't understand a single word she sung.  She did her little dance on her way offstage and didn't look very happy as she was leaving.  Pope Francis didn't look too thrilled either.  Now, Andrea Boccelli?  I could listen to him forever.

I fell asleep before the performance began, and I awoke to Aretha caterwauling. To me, that was disrespectful to the Pope. Yes, I know, she sings gospel and all that. But, that wasn't the time, nor the place for her caterwauling.

She was awful! I turned the channel while she was on. She is full of herself.

They should have turned her mike off half way through her sad preformance.

Trusted Contributor

We were in Philadelphia yesterday.  Security check was no more involved than airport or stadium checks.  The most difficult part of the day was the walking distance involved.  Because we were entering from the northwest side of the city, it was not as bad as the people in NJ that had to walk across the bridge and then into the city.

Super Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

I think I watched every single minute and recorded lots of it.  I could have done without Aretha Franklin and according to the remarks on Utube, I'm not the only one.  IMO, she was absolutely awful.  They all said they couldn't understand a single word she sung.  She did her little dance on her way offstage and didn't look very happy as she was leaving.  Pope Francis didn't look too thrilled either.  Now, Andrea Boccelli?  I could listen to him forever.

I fell asleep before the performance began, and I awoke to Aretha caterwauling. To me, that was disrespectful to the Pope. Yes, I know, she sings gospel and all that. But, that wasn't the time, nor the place for her caterwauling.

You know, if they didn't mention the name of the song, nobody would have ever known it was Amazing Grace.  Surely not a time for gospel singing.  I wonder why she was booked insteadof a zillion other singers who could have done a much better job.  She needs to retire.  Her outfit, whatever that was, wasn't appropriate either IMO.  

Why not a time for gospel singing? It's an integral part of American faith. I have heard a LOT of gospel singing in urban Catholic parishes.

That wasn't gospel singing it was just noise. Disrespectful to the song and to those that know how it should be sung.

Esteemed Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

You know, if they didn't mention the name of the song, nobody would have ever known it was Amazing Grace.  Surely not a time for gospel singing.  I wonder why she was booked insteadof a zillion other singers who could have done a much better job.  She needs to retire.  Her outfit, whatever that was, wasn't appropriate either IMO.  

Why not a time for gospel singing? It's an integral part of American faith. I have heard a LOT of gospel singing in urban Catholic parishes.

That wasn't gospel singing it was just noise. Disrespectful to the song and to those that know how it should be sung.

********************************************************************************************

Not only was it disrespectful to the song and other "singers" she was disrespectful to the Pope in not going up to see him like Andrea Bocelli did.  He went up, spoke with him and the Pope gave him a rosary.  I'm sure he would have done the same for her, if she had the class to do that.  Her little two-step off the stage and the disgusted face she made, shows her complete lack of class and respect.                          

Valued Contributor

@jobran wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

********************************************************************************************

Not only was it disrespectful to the song and other "singers" she was disrespectful to the Pope in not going up to see him like Andrea Bocelli did.  He went up, spoke with him and the Pope gave him a rosary.  I'm sure he would have done the same for her, if she had the class to do that.  Her little two-step off the stage and the disgusted face she made, shows her complete lack of class and respect.    

===================================================

I agree it wasn't her best performance but she is an American Icon who decided to perform for a religious leader.  I think she was very gracious to do it.  With all due respect, the Pope is not God.  He's just a head figure of a church.  A huge church, granted, but still he's not any better than say, Billy Graham.                         

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Trusted Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@jobran wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

I agree it wasn't her best performance but she is an American Icon who decided to perform for a religious leader.  I think she was very gracious to do it.  With all due respect, the Pope is not God.  He's just a head figure of a church.  A huge church, granted, but still he's not any better than say, Billy Graham.                         

LOLOLOLOL!The POPE is WAY above and beyond Billy Graham. No comparison.

Valued Contributor

Re: Pope's Visit

[ Edited ]

@italia8140 wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@jobran wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@8140 wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@jobran wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@jobran wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

==================================

I don't see how?  I have respect for both of them. 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor
Make a joyful noise to the Lord.

She did. And she's not the first to dance in joy and in the spirit of God. She was there to honor families and the family of God. As the Pope has said, who am I to judge ?
Respected Contributor

Regarding the Pope's visit overall.  Although we are of the Baptist faith, we were both mesmerized by the Pope and very emotionally affected by his visit.

May the love and kindness he showered on the crowds and the millions watching remain  forever.Heart

Super Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Christina042 wrote:

Back in the day, we had guitars at Mass that were geared to the teenagers and Young Adults at the Saturday Night Mass before Date Night commenced. Smiley Wink