Honored Contributor

Re: Poor at 20, poor for life

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

My daughter is going to be 20 and she's going to be a college sophomore.  Her major is nursing. 

I can't imagine what kind of a job she'd get where she could make decent money and advance without a college degree. 

She's a typical college student.  She has a car that we bought her in high school.  She pays for gas and insurance.  We support her.  I'm not sure how she could make it otherwise.

Do you realize that there are many nurses out there without college degrees or that she could have become an RN thru community college then got a job at a hospital where they will pay her tuition to get her BSN and her MSN should she choose to do that? No college loan - no putting parents into the poorhouse and the satisfaction of doing it on your own. Too bad high school counselors don't tell kids this before they get mired in student loan debt.

Personally, I think it is a horrible shame that they closed hospital based nursing schools as they produced a much better nurse with much more clinical experience than a college program does. In nursing clinical experience is much more useful than book knowledge.

Not every college graduate is burdened with student debt, not every parent is in the poorhouse due to sending kids to college.  Sure many are - but many people are able to plan early.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband was on an aircraft carrier during Viet Nam.. he worked on the radar on the fighter jets.  Head hunter contacted him straight out of the service & he worked his way up the ladder in a radiation therapy company and is now a national manager.   I was an xray tech and well we didn't make squat compared to other positions in the hospital, according to some techs it's the same.  As some love to say, you only push a button..  ok whatever.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach, my SIL was a nurse flight director and would ONLY hire Viet Nam vets to fly that helicopter. She said she wouldn't even consider anyone else, they were the best.

Respected Contributor

It's always been about the survival of the fittest.  I see many kids now days treated like children well into their twenties.  It's sad to see college graduates sitting in their parent's homes with no job.  And, to see people who should be well into a successful career in a teenager's job flipping burgers wanting a pay raise to keep doing that job.  I had a lot more drive than that back in my day.  And, you absolutely do not have to get a college degree to get a high paying job.  I've witnessed many who are proving that.  Good for them!   

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Suziepeach, my SIL was a nurse flight director and would ONLY hire Viet Nam vets to fly that helicopter. She said she wouldn't even consider anyone else, they were the best.

@RetRN, I couldn't agree more, yes they were the best!  My husband was given the opportunity several times to back seat in the jets- he said it was incredible.  He didn't have any college background, good ole military training!   

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

A meaningless generalization imo.

Scholars, beginning scientists, MDs and others are almost all poor in their 20s.

They are still on their path, still studying, still working on advanced degrees.

I was still in school in my early 20s, DH was in the Air Force.  We're not poor now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

It's always been about the survival of the fittest.  I see many kids now days treated like children well into their twenties.  It's sad to see college graduates sitting in their parent's homes with no job.  And, to see people who should be well into a successful career in a teenager's job flipping burgers wanting a pay raise to keep doing that job.  I had a lot more drive than that back in my day.  And, you absolutely do not have to get a college degree to get a high paying job.  I've witnessed many who are proving that.  Good for them!   

I agree but I don't think it is always or necessarily that they are treated like children- they ACT like children. Or perhaps, a little bit of both.

I have a friend who has a 25 year old son, has a Master and going for a PhD. Still lives at home, has never had a paying job. Parents still pay for everything. Daughter is 22 just graduated from school still lives at home too but at least she has a job. Parents paid for everything.

I also have a friend whose son is 24 and still, 6 years later, in college and every time I ask them if he has graduated yet, they tell me "oh he has 2 more years to go". He still lives at home, parents pay for everything, has never had a job.

By the way, both these families are middle class and the parents are not in much debt due to paying for all their children's schooling so they are not rich by any means. It has set their retirement age back significantly. All their own doing, of course, as they do not have to let their kids sponge off of them nor did they need to pay for everything.

I could go on and on. I honestly feel that many kids these days don't have the drive and motivation like they need to in order to be successful. And you don't necessarily even need a degree to get a great job with a good company. I know many people who don't have a degree but work at some of the biotech and pharmaceutical companies I work with making good money and have long-term careers there if they want. These companies don't care as much about the degree as they do about creativity, imagination, drive, personality, ability to think outside the box, etc.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@MomCat

Studies and research show that, as a group, college graduates will make much more money over their lifetime than those who only graduate from high school.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

My daughter is going to be 20 and she's going to be a college sophomore.  Her major is nursing. 

I can't imagine what kind of a job she'd get where she could make decent money and advance without a college degree. 

She's a typical college student.  She has a car that we bought her in high school.  She pays for gas and insurance.  We support her.  I'm not sure how she could make it otherwise.

Do you realize that there are many nurses out there without college degrees or that she could have become an RN thru community college then got a job at a hospital where they will pay her tuition to get her BSN and her MSN should she choose to do that? No college loan - no putting parents into the poorhouse and the satisfaction of doing it on your own. Too bad high school counselors don't tell kids this before they get mired in student loan debt.

Personally, I think it is a horrible shame that they closed hospital based nursing schools as they produced a much better nurse with much more clinical experience than a college program does. In nursing clinical experience is much more useful than book knowledge.

You have no idea what our financial situation is, for one thing.  I can assure you we won't be in the poor house putting her through school.  

Hospitals in our area don't hire nurses unless you have a BSN.   She'll be fine.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949

Not here there aren't.

Not only do nurses have a Bachelor's degree, many, if not most, have a Master's Degree.

Nursing is much more advanced now than it was 50 years ago.